Embassy Suites Downtown

Who would you like to build on the former arena site?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to build on the former arena site?

• BC Development Co: 300 hotel rooms, 15,000 s.f. of ballroom space, 120,000 s.f. office, Possible 54,000 s.f. upscale condos.
    • HCW Evergreen: 200 hotel rooms, 10,000-12,000 s.f. meeting space, 30 luxury condos, 60,000-120,000 s.f. office.
    • Opus Northwest: 100,000-180,000 s.f. office, 100,000-150,000 s.f. possible hotel.
    • John Q. Hammons: 150-room hotel, 50 underground parking, 100,000-125,000 s.f. office.

Eww I take that back. I do not like that guys opinion.

"While we believe the city owes Hammons a great deal for his vision and economic commitment to the city, we don't believe that gratitude should come at the expense of fair treatment of other business interests, such as developer Rick Huffman, whose hotel suggestion for the arena land now is likely dead."

That statement is full of crap and it's the mindset that will styme the entire city of Springfield. John Q Isn't some "god" like some people would like to believe. He is a piece of scum who has terrible ethics in the way he deals with things.

I dont know why you say that the HCW plan is Dead. It's still the most attractive deal. It has everything downtown Springfield needs: a skyscraper, Hilton hotel, office space, retail space, and upscale condos. I dont know why it would suddenly be dead because hammons is building a TINY 5-story hotel.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm almost positive that the Hotel wont even be 15 stories tall. The office componant will be a 5 story building attached to the north side of the hotel with approx. 20,000 sqf. on each level. The only reason that the hotel would remain its hieght is if they decided to add more condo's, or if the building was redesigned all together.

On the other hand I would hope that they would design this to where they could add more floors in the future. They also need more condo's in that, come on 30 condo's! Downtown is booming right now and the demand is very, very high for high end condos. I really wish April the 9th would get here because I am getting more anxious. I just really want to hurt Mr. Hammons for being such a jackass... he is the reason the hotel will not be 18 stories!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm almost positive that the Hotel wont even be 15 stories tall. The office componant will be a 5 story building attached to the north side of the hotel with approx. 20,000 sqf. on each level. The only reason that the hotel would remain its hieght is if they decided to add more condo's, or if the building was redesigned all together.

On the other hand I would hope that they would design this to where they could add more floors in the future. They also need more condo's in that, come on 30 condo's! Downtown is booming right now and the demand is very, very high for high end condos. I really wish April the 9th would get here because I am getting more anxious. I just really want to hurt Mr. Hammons for being such a jackass... he is the reason the hotel will not be 18 stories!

Well, Well, Well! :D with big grin.

Rick Huffman invited Springfield Officials for a tour of both Hilton hotel properties at Branson Landing. To show his works and how it would be like...

The proposal 150 room-hotel, condominiums, a restaurant and a nightclub in the same hotel structure. Office floors will have 160,000 square feet.

and here my most favorite part from article:

"I like what I saw," said Conrad Griggs, an outgoing councilman who has been serving on the TIF commission.

Mayor Pro Tem Ralph Manley made several of his signature jumps throughout the tour, calling the projects "exciting."

Impressed with Huffman's capabilities, Manley said he favors Huffman and his proposal.

"We're here to please the people of Springfield, not Mr. Hammons," Manley said.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :cry:

Not longer after, John Q. Hammons, a prominent local hotelier, announced that he would build a four-star, 150-room hotel on the parking lot of University Plaza Hotel across the street.

Hammons had put in a proposal similar to that of BKD for the 1.7-acre site, but it got eliminated last month.

In response to Hammons' hotel plan, Huffman said he would cut his proposal by 150 rooms, or five stories, but up the hotel standard to four stars and plus.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :cry:

I guess the only thing we can hope is that HCW is cutting five floors from the 18 story orinal design, or that he will build the hotel to later add more floors when needed. Maybe Hammons will realize how much everyone in Springfield dislikes him and wont build that 5 story hotel across the street. Doubt it. :cry:

TIF Commission advised to reissue request for arena site proposals!

I can't believe how stupid our city counsel members are. I guaruntee you that this has Hammons name stamped all over it. I can assure you that we will see HCW drop out because the city is being subordinate to him. This is promted me to write a letter to the editor at SBJ. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Let us sing, "Rick Huffman coming to war with Hammons for power of high-rise and hotel reign!"

Slyder1, don't give up. Springfield Business Journal published that article before the meeting!

Here what is real after the meeting!

The city had been considering a plan by BKD, LLP, for an office building and a proposal by Rick Huffman for a hotel.

But, BKD later suggested building a hotel, while Huffman said he would add office space to accommodate firms such as BKD.

Smith told the commission that, upon legal advice, the city would prefer to send out a refined request for proposals. This time, the city wants proposals that will combine both the hotel and the office building.

With an unanimous vote, the commission agreed.

Huffman, the Branson developer behind the Branson Landing, said he remains interested and that he is confident to win the project.

Hey! Why don't we try guess how many they will have floors?? It would be fun!

Hammons: -10 floors (ugh)

Rick Huffmans: 20+

Developer from St. Louis: (hard to predict....) 15 to 25

What your guess? :D

Is there any more developers coming up?

Archived