MLB

dgreco

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, about 3 weeks ago, I had written my team, the Cleveland Indians off, w/ another choke job. But, thankfully, Detroit was also playing poorly. Well, the Tribe has gotten hot, and has won like 14 of their last 17, and will go for a sweep today in Minnesota. B/C of that, they now have the 3rd best record in the AL at 80-58, and have opened up a 7 game lead on the Tigers. I doubt many others saw that coming, I know as a fan I didn't b/c of how poorly they were playing.

Right now, it appears that the Red Sox, Angels, Indians, and Yankees will be in the playoffs in the AL. 3 Big market, big spending teams, and the small market, small spending Indians and their tight wadd owner who won't spend anything to improve the club. Is anyone else surprised by this turn of events the last few weeks? I know I am.

Well, about 3 weeks ago, I had written my team, the Cleveland Indians off, w/ another choke job. But, thankfully, Detroit was also playing poorly. Well, the Tribe has gotten hot, and has won like 14 of their last 17, and will go for a sweep today in Minnesota. B/C of that, they now have the 3rd best record in the AL at 80-58, and have opened up a 7 game lead on the Tigers. I doubt many others saw that coming, I know as a fan I didn't b/c of how poorly they were playing.

Right now, it appears that the Red Sox, Angels, Indians, and Yankees will be in the playoffs in the AL. 3 Big market, big spending teams, and the small market, small spending Indians and their tight wadd owner who won't spend anything to improve the club. Is anyone else surprised by this turn of events the last few weeks? I know I am.

Shame on you OhioaninSC! The Tribe has had outstanding pitching all year, and first half we rocked offensively. The mid summer nap that the bats took was certainly frustrating, but you knew it couldn't last through the year. Looks like we are hitting our stride at exactly the right time. In a short series, we only need 3 pitchers, Sabathia, Carmona, Westbrook. That is a formidable staff.

Hafner has shown signs of breaking out of whatever was holding him back, if so, watch out! The rest of the lineup grows in character as he does.

UD

• 3 weeks later...
I just know the history of the teams from my original hometown. Being a Cleveland sports fan has always been frustrating. I remember 2 seasons ago, the Tribe looked like it was going to be in the playoffs, then bam, they lost 7 straight to end the reg season. 2 wins would have gotten them in. I had great expectations for that team last year, and they were horrid. This year, I had a wait and see attitude w/ them, they started off hot, then went cold for a long time, so I thought, yep, same old Tribe. That's why I wrote them off, now, I'm back on board w/ them, but I still don't see them winning it all. Hopefully, they make a great run, and lead us into basketball season and a hopefully improved Cavalier team that can make a good run again, and not get swept in the Finals.

The city of Cleveland is boring mainly b/c of how depressing the economy has been. I can't think of any other city outside of NOLA from Katrina, that has lost as many jobs in the last 30 yrs or so than the Cleveland area has lost. I think I read some stats somewhere that Cleveland is the most poverty stricken city in the USA. It is quite sad really. While the biggest reason I moved south was for the weather (I finally got tired of no sun from early Nov to late Mar, and 2' snow storms from Nov through Apr), many NE Ohioans move out b/c of the economy and job situation there. There are signs of life in certain pockets of the Downtown like the Warehouse District and hopefully their new lakefront plan will come to fruition sometime (not holding my breath though, b/c of the ineptness of the current and the previous mayor), but overall, there are still a lot of dead or dieing areas.

If somehow the Tribe could pull off winning a WS, a lot of frustrations would be ended there.

Well, the Cleveland Indians pounded the Yankees in game 1, 12-3. I was definitely shocked, b/c CC Sabathia definitely didn't pitch well, but he hung in there, got out of a big 5th inning jam, then the Tribe's offense exploded.

Hopefully, they can take game 2 and get the Yankess in a big hole.

Well, the Cleveland Indians pounded the Yankees in game 1, 12-3. I was definitely shocked, b/c CC Sabathia definitely didn't pitch well, but he hung in there, got out of a big 5th inning jam, then the Tribe's offense exploded.

Hopefully, they can take game 2 and get the Yankess in a big hole.

The Tribe has the Yankees in an 0-2 hole. Fausto Carmona and Andy Pettit were both outstanding. Fausto was downright filthy tonight. I don't know though, Cleveland was like 2-15 w/ RISP, but Haffner comes through on the bottom of the 11th w/ bases loaded and 2 outs, w/ the RBI single. That was one heck of a ballgame. October baseball at its finest.

I now feel very good about the Tribe's chances. I think they could even finish them off Sun night in a game 3 sweep. We'll see. Go Tribe.