MLB

dgreco

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Surprised by the Rays, O's and Marlins in playing this well so far into the season. The sox have dropped 5 straight and the Tigers are back on track. Exciting season in the beginning so far, looks like more parity so far. I am sure it iwll even out, but early on its been fun.

• 2 weeks later...

at the quarter mark. The Rays are in first and look like they have staying power. The Yanks are in last place. Detroit is also in last, and not close to the rest of the division.

Oakland is in first place out west, and no one expected that.

Marlins are in first with a close NL East. The NL Central is ridiculous close and exciting. Sort of like the NL West last year.

The NL West is shaping up like it should, except maybe SF and SD should be swapped in the standings.

overall an exciting season so far.

Another cool note is that if Utley keeps the play up, the Phillies could three straight MVP players.

• 2 weeks later...

One less noticed theme this year is road records. As of today, only three teams have a record above .500 on the road. I don't recall there ever being this dramatic a split between home and road records in MLB.

Terry Francona had a theory that it related to the woeful state of many bullpens.

One less noticed theme this year is road records. As of today, only three teams have a record above .500 on the road. I don't recall there ever being this dramatic a split between home and road records in MLB.

Terry Francona had a theory that it related to the woeful state of many bullpens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Red Sox panicked on this one. they wanted Manny gone so bad that they did the following: got rid of Manny and his headache, which paying the rest of his contract this season, lost 2 decent prospects that are MLB ready, and only got back Jason Bay. Don't get me wrong, Jason Bay is good, but he isn't Manny calibre, and they lost prospects. Bad trade, this would have blown over, as it always has in the past.

I honestly believe keeping Manny would have been detrimental to the team, and would have led to an 06 style collapse. It's possible he could have sat out, or his play on the field would suffer because of his rotten attitude.

While Bay is good, he's no Manny caliber player. You really can't even look at the difference between Manny and Bay, that's not why this was done. Bay was the best outfielder for trade (with Griffey gone to the White Sox), and Boston was fortunate enough to pick him up.

My feeling is that the Red Sox could have easily given Manny plenty of incentive to play. He wants to sit out? Cool, we'll pick up BOTH years of your option, and feel free to sit out as long as you like. How's 3 years off without pay strike you? Or, if you dog it, we'll suspend you without pay, either way, the Red Sox win.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How ironic is that?? Congrats to the Rays! What a turn around!!!

Bud Selig goofed during hurricane Ike. when he decided 2 of the Astros home game vs. the Cubs should be moved to nearby Milwaukee. The Astros had been winners of 14 out of 15 til that gaffe.

Personally, I think the Top 4 teams in the NL should go to the playoffs; notj ust divisional winners; bec. the Dodgers have the benefit of playing in the (weakest) West Division with only 81-75 record. Teams with better records like the Brewers 85-71; Astros 82-73; and the same record Marlins 81-75 will be staying home for the playoffs.

That's my rant!

• 3 weeks later...