Ocean City

Park in Peril....Ocean City Icon Faces Possible Closure

One of the oldest continuously operating amusement parks in America, Trimper's Amusements may be forced to close its doors after this season. Rising insurance costs, property taxes, fuel and electricity costs are cited as reasons for the possible closure. The Trimper family still owns the park, but the 15 family members who control the park are divided over its fate. Granville Trimper, the CEO of the family corporation, wants to keep the park open, but others wish to move on to other pursuits. It is hard to imagine the boardwalk without the park. I'll post more news as it surfaces. Thoughts? Pictures?

The Washington Post

• 4 months later...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trimper's Amusements Gets A One Year Reprieve

Ocean City's famed beachside park, Trimper's Amusements, has another year to whirl away before possible closire looms again. The Trimper family say that they will keep the park open for at least another year, but warn that their tax situation with the city must be changed. I'm in favor of granting them some sort of exemption, if only to keep the park going. Some might call this unfair, but I'd rather see the historic park continue in operation than see it flattened for plastic condominium towers. This park may be dowdy and old fashioned. Some would say it has outlived its usefulness. I'd still counter that it is a link with the past that Ocean City needs to maintain. I know that mere sentiment can't keep a business going, so a long-term plan is probably in order to bring the park into the 21st century. The problem here is that the amusement park business isn't in great shape anywhere in the U.S. with the exception of the giants like Disney and Universal. The toubles that Six Flags have been experiencing are testament to this. I'd like to think that there is a way out of this beyond mere subsidation by the city, county or state. What that path might be, I have no idea. Thoughts?

The Washington Post

Archived