To The East Side

andremurra

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I looked at the map. On the main page it has a SEARS logo as if SEARS is an anchor. Is it? I didn't see it on the map, but I did see Bi-Lo. What's that? Its hard to understand how a mall could have 3-4 anchor stores such as the ones on the map and only be 200K sq.ft. Are you sure it's not 700K?

From my personal point of view, I like having the Statesboro Mall and the Wal-Mart so close together. That way I can get to both places fairly easily (usually my trips to either place overlap and I end up visiting both).

Also, the Statesboro Mall isn't called the "Small" for nothing, I'm sure having a Wal-Mart nearby is at least somewhat good for business there.

There's a list of stores at www.statesboromall.com. Click on "Mall Information", then "Store Directory". There is the fairly standard mix of store types, just not many of them and not some of the major players.

The movie theater is at the back of the mall, close to Brannen Street.

• 2 weeks later...
Just admit it. The SMall has served its day. It is so out of date and land locked that it will never serve statesboro like it should. The Statesboro Mall was great back in the 80's when it was a small south georgia town and the college was still Georgia Southern College. Now as Statesboro emerges into a vibrant city and Georgia Southern becomes more of a name across the southeast, the Boro needs more than the small. Now would be a great time to build a new lifestyle center and move Belk, JC Pennys, and more new stores like Gap, Hollister, and maybe even a new movie theatre in there. The Small could be torn down to make way for a new Sams club, Best Buy or other big box stores. The old movie theatre could become a second run theatre. Statesboro!!! Let the Small go it is time for a new era in the Boro.

The bid information could be the sign of something big, but the information is rather sketchy at this point. Hendon's purchase wasn't to be completed until sometime in January, so maybe their plans will be announced shortly after they close the deal.

The site plan from the mall web site is probably an old one. What is shown in the Bruster's and Starbuck's sites is not correct. The Belk and JCP expansions have been discussed since before I got here -- at least three years ago. The last I heard (and it has been a while) was that JCP wasn't planning an expansion in the near future and Belk would expand after deciding not to move to Statesboro Crossing. So maybe we will get one but not the other. Then again, the stories change every few months. My friends at city hall told me before the holidays that they haven't been contacted about any proposed work at the mall.

I agree with the majority opinion that a new center of some type should be built and the mall done away with. I don't see that happening for a long time though so in the interim Bi-Lo should be demolished and more appropriate retail store(s) put in that area.

I wonder if the City or Chamber of Commerce is marketing Statesboro to some of the big developers- Simon, GGP, CBL, etc..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The Holiday Inn appears to be almost finished. I looked on the website and they are accepting reservations for arrivals after July 15. It says that they are going to have a large outdoor swimming pool. I guess that they would have it in the back of the hotel.

The Citizen's Bank construction is underway. There is a ton of steel work being done. If you look closely you can see the vault.

The new El Sombrero is nearing completion as well. I can't wait for that upstairs bar!

I haven't seen it posted here or published in the Herald, but I was told a few weeks ago that the sale of the SMall did not happen. My source said Hendon removed the SMall and another property from the deal with Hull Storey. Looks like we are stuck with what we have for a while longer. Maybe the opening of Statesboro Crossing will encourage them to at least freshen up the outside a bit.

The other building is a conference center. There is obviously some relationship with the Springhill Suites, but I don't know if it will have the same ownership or management. I also don't recall any of the physical characteristics of the building such as interior size, number of meeting rooms, etc. The folks who try to get conferences and other meetings to come here have said for a while that we have been lacking this sort of facility. We won't compete for any major events, but it will be a big improvement for the area. It's one more step up the ladder.

• 2 months later...

Bruster's Real Ice Cream is adding a Nathan's Famous to the building. There will be hot dogs, chicken fingers, fries, and their famous Lemonade. It should be open sometime next week! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Archived