Icon Hotel Updates

GRDadof3

Looks like the request for a 20 year lease of the city parking space goes before the City Commission today, and if both parties agree to the specific language of the contract, I assume it will be approved:

City Commission Agenda Page 178

I really hope that the city is dead set against building a parking ramp there on the riverfront, when the time comes to build a new Monroe North ramp.

For those who missed the news on this, here's a Grand Rapids Press article

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've two questions:

Why is it a good thing it isn't on the river? I know I am new, but all things considered, I'd think a hotel on the river would be great. Am I totally missing a subject line?

And from the article linked to M-live, why, in the last sentence, does it matter that there is no pool? It was not mentioned anywhere else.

It's great they are building - I went through the Icon condos and they are amazing. If the hotel is as good, it is a great thing from GR, yes?

I've two questions:

Why is it a good thing it isn't on the river? I know I am new, but all things considered, I'd think a hotel on the river would be great. Am I totally missing a subject line?

And from the article linked to M-live, why, in the last sentence, does it matter that there is no pool? It was not mentioned anywhere else.

It's great they are building - I went through the Icon condos and they are amazing. If the hotel is as good, it is a great thing from GR, yes?

Anyone know if they plan on using the same basic design from Icon? I know the original concept was to have twins, but maybe the different uses will facilitate different looks.

Also, what does "limited service" mean? Is that like a Courtyard Marriott vs. a Marriott? That may be a bad example since our Courtyard Marriott has a pool and restaurant, but most don't. :)

Joe

I have three questions:

1) Why can't the developers put the restaurant and coffee shop at the the hotel?

2) Why did one of the commissioners' idea to put the hotel on the parking lot fall

through?

3) The article just didn't give enough details. Did the developer still agree to agree to

step aside if the lot would be developed?

Anyone know if they plan on using the same basic design from Icon? I know the original concept was to have twins, but maybe the different uses will facilitate different looks.

Also, what does "limited service" mean? Is that like a Courtyard Marriott vs. a Marriott? That may be a bad example since our Courtyard Marriott has a pool and restaurant, but most don't. :)

Joe

The reason you can't just add a restaurant, etc. to a limited service hotel is that it would be full sevrice hotel! Many franchises have very strict rules about what you can and can't have (i.e.: an existing full service Marriott would have no say about a limited service Marriott product coming into their market, because they should be serving a different clientelle. If the limited service product adds a restaurant and other features, there would be no real difference and they would canibalize their average daily rate for the company).

My take on "Limited Service" is something more like Extended Stay America or Homewood Suites and less like Days Inn or Mariott Courtyard even.

Those places never have pools, restaurants or gift shops...just rooms (almost always with kitchenettes).

What makes no sense to me is using the clearly-valuable land for such a generic purpose. Say you build a 7 story Homewood Suites on that spot. You've now put your high-priced condos behind (in terms of view and land-desirability) your limited-service hotel. That makes no sense at all!

My guess is that it's a reference to the fact that this is not going to be a full-service hotel with all the amenities you'd expect from, say, a Doubletree or a Grand Plaza or a full-on Holiday Inn with Holidome (do they even still use that term?). My guess is a lower cost hotel focused on business travelers or some such thing. GRDad, any insights on the possible franchises?

Why does "limited service" have to equal lower cost? I did not see lower cost hotel mentioned in either Press article (but I may have missed it).

Couldn't "limited service" mean a boutique hotel, like the Amalfi Hotel in Chicago?

Why is everyone saying the first floor will be parking. Did we forget they had to lease 70 spaces for parking from the city.

Also, why isn't Moch investing his condos and hotel downtown. Why is this place so special to him?

Why is everyone saying the first floor will be parking. Did we forget they had to lease 70 spaces for parking from the city.

Also, why isn't Moch investing his condos and hotel downtown. Why is this place so special to him?

• 4 months later...

There is a picture/sketch of the MOCH hotel on Wolverine Building's website (sorry, no idea how to link). It is on page 4 of 6 in their Fall 2007 newsletter. It appears to be 12 stories tall. Go to www.wolvgroup.com/news.aspx and check it out! Not too bad if you ask me.

Archived