RUMORED: APC Building Downtown

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, I'm a beggar with this one, so I won't be a chooser. The worst I could settle for would be an APC consolidation at E@B with the manufacturing going to NC. After that, it's positives a-la-carte:

manufacturing stays in RI

all aspects (warehousing, shipping, etc.) of APC stays in RI

new tower proposal for one of the surface lots south of the FD

new tower at parcel 12 (replace stalled hotel plan)

new tower at one of the citizens' lots

well, I'm a beggar with this one, so I won't be a chooser. The worst I could settle for would be an APC consolidation at E@B with the manufacturing going to NC. After that, it's positives a-la-carte:

manufacturing stays in RI

all aspects (warehousing, shipping, etc.) of APC stays in RI

new tower proposal for one of the surface lots south of the FD

new tower at parcel 12 (replace stalled hotel plan)

new tower at one of the citizens' lots

^At this point I'm hoping this is a new proposal at one of the three locations mental757 named. Whether APC is the tenant or not, I see no reason to doubt that E@B will happen, and two new towers are better than one.

That said, if it turns out that APC is the planned tenant for E@B, that's great news too.

^At this point I'm hoping this is a new proposal at one of the three locations mental757 named. Whether APC is the tenant or not, I see no reason to doubt that E@B will happen, and two new towers are better than one.

That said, if it turns out that APC is the planned tenant for E@B, that's great news too.

it would... but that's not gonna be easy. i think getting RI companies to invest in providence will help that effort though... at the same time as reducing/preventing sprawl in the rest of the state. just think of amica and fidelity moved to providence.

I wish that were true...but it isn't. RI and PVD are too small to be self-sufficient, where we sell, buy, invest, employ and profit to/from ourselves. I can't think of one mid-sized city in the US that is successful without significant to and fro with 'the outside'. Our downtown building boom is mostly driven by investors from outside RI, who bring both financial capital and new visions of what is possible.

For a sobering read on what a stagnant flow can mean for RI, check out this recent Economy.com report.

• 1 year later...

^Yes, the prospects for a new large tower in Providence are very few now from exisitng RI firms. APC, Fidelity, FM Global, Amica, and CVS are all expanding/building at their current locales, or ahve done so within the past 10 or so years. Citizens holds some hope, as does MetLife, which is spread out in several locations in RI - the 2 largest being in Warwick (Quaker Lane) and West Warwick (Division St. - off of Quaker Lane). MetLife has several divisional HQ's in RI. Of the other large RI companies, not many seem likely to move/build in Providence (Hasbro comes to mind as one that would probably NOT move as well).

Thats why it is imperative that RI can somehow find more firms willing to relocate/invest in RI.

^Yes, the prospects for a new large tower in Providence are very few now from exisitng RI firms. APC, Fidelity, FM Global, Amica, and CVS are all expanding/building at their current locales, or ahve done so within the past 10 or so years. Citizens holds some hope, as does MetLife, which is spread out in several locations in RI - the 2 largest being in Warwick (Quaker Lane) and West Warwick (Division St. - off of Quaker Lane). MetLife has several divisional HQ's in RI. Of the other large RI companies, not many seem likely to move/build in Providence (Hasbro comes to mind.

Thats why it is imperative that RI can somehow find more firms willing to relocate/invest in RI.

Archived