Creation Museum opens in Kentucky

Charlotteman

A US$27 million "creation science" museum has just opened in Petersburg, Kentucky (close to Cincinatti). Ken Ham and Mark Looy, co founders of the museum, claim 4000 visitors attended the first opening day.

Reportedly one of the most interesting exhibits is one in which the age of the Earth is said to be a few thousand years old.....and another one states that all animals on the planet were vegetarians until "Adam" ate part of the "apple", as stated in Genesis.

That US $27 million could have gone a long way to help lots of disadvantaged people, people who are hungry, who need health care. What a thorough, absolute waste of millions of dollars for something so damn absurd.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if this is the world's first creation science museum? What a crock......

In an odd way the concept reminds me of Albania's former Scientific Atheism Museum in downtown Tirana. When the commies there decided there wouldn't be anymore religious belief in Albania in the 1960s, the dictator Enver Hoxha had a museum to atheism built!

Although on two separate polls, I can see off-beat similarities of the Albanian museum and the new museum in Kentucky. The bottom line is that they are both absurd to the core. They are both an obscene waste of money and time. Once the commies fell, the Albanians reconverted their silly museum.

But how long will it take the Kentucky museum curators to realize what a crock they are running? That goofball museum will be there for a long time corrupting weak minds.

dude, i'd totally go! why not? it would be a walk through my personal past, it'd definitely be entertaining, i might run into some itinerant preacher my family knows, and hell - maybe there's something to be learned, however tangential to the place's mission that might be for most of us on here. probably learn a lot about human nature, especially if you've never experienced this sort of religious dogmatism and stridency firsthand (and many of you from the fringes of the country truly haven't.)

a lot of you guys have a strident tone of your own, though...ya'll really believe that these kaintucks are intentionally lying to the poor little childrens? come on. they believe fervently that they are helping do a good work. everyone knows what dogma+fervor+groups+good intentions can lead to, but it doesn't change the fact that peoples' evils are often concealed even from themselves. once you believe in something - anything - it's right. there's a difference between ignorance and duplicity - and i don't think most fundies, however many other bad qualities you think they may have, are teaching that which they believe to be untrue. you give the uninformed too much credit.

my only hope is that, at the end of the day, i can get a 'creationmuseum' shot glass in the gift store. or maybe a hollow bible with a CM-logo whisky flask inside. or both!

In an odd way the concept reminds me of Albania's former Scientific Atheism Museum in downtown Tirana. When the commies there decided there wouldn't be anymore religious belief in Albania in the 1960s, the dictator Enver Hoxha had a museum to atheism built!

While I do not agree with what this facility is showing the public, we do have to remember that the people who have opened this facility have every right to do so. Not to mention, as stated above, there are numbers of people in this country who believe this as fact.

Do I think this money would have been better spent on homeless or the hungry? Sure, but that argument can be held up for the shiny new tax-payer funded sports stadiums as well.

I don't know the full story, but hasn't a "young earth" style info board been erected at the Grand Canyon? Supposedly it states that the Grand Canyon is just a few thousand years old (?) I think the Bush administration had the sign put there.

I suppose that we're all entitled to believe what we want, especially when it comes down to where life originated. Of course I personally think that it is absurd that water covered the globe at one time (considering it has been proven that not enough water exists in the atmosphere, rocks, oceans, lakes, etc. to account for enough to cover the globe) or that humans roamed earth alongside dinosaurs.

The only thing this "creation museum" does IMO is push society even further away from Christianity which hopefully the polar opposite of what the Christian society is trying to accomplish. There is scientific truth in everything, regardless if we have found that truth yet or not. Just because we haven't found scientific truth for something doesn't mean that we can freely throw the idea away in lieu of a far fetched idea that Genesis is to be taken in the literal sense. Some books, even the Bible, are meant to be taken into context of the time and with the idea that it is a story with meaning other than in the literal sense. Why is it that the apple that Adam and Eve experienced have to be a real edible apple, why can't it stand for something greater or an idea of higher thinking?

It amuses me that both sides take jabs at each other with the end result leaving society either pretending to believe one or the other or having grown up in the far end of one of these beliefs that it is unimaginable to think there could be another plausible answer to creation centric questions.

Perish the thought of science and religion coming together to actually make something logical out of all of this. Unfortunately as much as I try to listen to arguments on both sides I am more pushed towards scientific arguments for no other reason than that of the religious nuts out there that spend otherwise useful money on museums teaching nonsense to the world.

It is my hope that very few of the world actually believe Genesis in a literal sense and that most of us see a higher meaning of the story. By definition God can do anything he wants, even make it so that Genesis is indeed the literal meaning, but why did he bother leaving scientific evidence that He knew would dismantle people's belief in Genesis then? It doesn't make sense and neither does the thought of spending $27M on this creation museum.

The Genesis explanation of creation is about as valid as the ancient Indian belief that the world was created and then rested on a tortoise's back (the Indian subcontinent) Imagine the vacant brain of today that could actually believe such nonsense as fact.

The religious fanatics are lost in time on this "young earth" stuff. Science clearly proves that the age of the Universe is at least 13 billion years old. Their stubborn clinging to the Genesis explanation of a few thousand years old is truly pathetic. Intellectually bankrupt.

This museum just takes the cake. Only in America.......

The Genesis explanation of creation is about as valid as the ancient Indian belief that the world was created and then rested on a tortoise's back (the Indian subcontinent) Imagine the vacant brain of today that could actually believe such nonsense as fact.

The religious fanatics are lost in time on this "young earth" stuff. Science clearly proves that the age of the Universe is at least 13 billion years old. Their stubborn clinging to the Genesis explanation of a few thousand years old is truly pathetic. Intellectually bankrupt.

This museum just takes the cake. Only in America.......

Okay, I'm from Kentucky and I find this totally shameful that they chose my state for this near $30 million lie. Thanks for making the United States (and Kentucky) evolve one step backwards in the scientific race. And you wonder why other countries are advancing far faster than us in science...

Instead of investing in research and in science that actually works, there are enough full-hardy fools who want to dump their money into this 'creation' museum. I bet these are the same people who 'pledge' towards the 700 Club.

Okay, I'm from Kentucky and I find this totally shameful that they chose my state for this near $30 million lie. Thanks for making the United States (and Kentucky) evolve one step backwards in the scientific race. And you wonder why other countries are advancing far faster than us in science...

Instead of investing in research and in science that actually works, there are enough full-hardy fools who want to dump their money into this 'creation' museum. I bet these are the same people who 'pledge' towards the 700 Club.

Archived