Creation Museum opens in Kentucky

Charlotteman

Although it goes without saying that a good bit of what this museum is displaying is questionable at the least (I don't what it consists of entirely), one of the things that makes America great is the fact that this organization has the right to construct this museum. It fosters the free exchange of ideas. Generally speaking, if no one ever questioned anything or proposed any alternatives, science as we know it would not advance.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't see this as a big deal whatsoever, and I fail to see why some seem so overly worked up about this.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps that is a major reason why religion continues to flourish in a scientific age---the rest of us who "know better" are silent and don't challenge religion at it's most basic levels. We chose to "respect" their beliefs. Nonsense. Respecting garbage like repressive religion keeps the human race in the dark ages.

I have always been for challenging religion, and ignorance, and fear.....I don't respect religion whatsoever, nor do I respect people's religious views. Sorry but that's just me. I'll love you if you're a believer, but I certainly won't have any respect for your religion. If I did, I would be ashamed of myself.

Although it goes without saying that a good bit of what this museum is displaying is questionable at the least (I don't what it exists of entirely), one of the things that makes America great is the fact that this organization has the right to construct this museum. It fosters the free exchange of ideas. Generally speaking, if no one ever questioned anything or proposed any alternatives, science as we know it would not advance.

How exactly does it hamper science? Will it cause funding for scientific research to dramatically decrease? Will it cut into the budget for space exploration? This museum will only appeal to those who are already strongly committed to the ideas that it presents.

Well, I assume this was funded by private donations, so what's the big deal. As krazeeboi stated, what makes this country great is the people have the right to do as they chose. I don't think anyone is being forced into this museum, and if my dollars aren't supporting it, then I don't see the problem. I would certainly never chose to go, but thats how it should work....if not enough people support it, then it will fail.

What I have a problem is the ACLU crowd that will beotch and moan about how Muslims, or Buddahists, or Hindus in this country should have the right to build a museum to celebrate their fundamentalist beliefs, but somehow Christians shouldn't.

Obviously someone is wrong, and maybe everybody, so why don't we criticize all institutions that inform about certain beliefs.

Oh I think we would all agree that this project should go forward unhampered, if it was built with private funds.

To each his own. Believe what you want to believe. We all love that about America.:)

But don't expect thinking people to sit quietly by while a group that preys on ignorance, spreads that ignorance via a flashy high-tech museum.

It's in Kentucky, not like it will get too may visitors. Not saying anything against the state, it's beautiful country, however it's not like it is in NYC. I just don't see too many people going there for this. It is not based on science, but they still have the right to build it using private funds. I don't agree with its premise, but what ever floats your boat. To me it's no different than building a large cathedral to worship a god, if that's what you believe, more power to you.

Perhaps I've been a bit harsh about this whole thing.

I'll reiterate that I don't give a darn what people believe, just so long as they don't try to use their beliefs to repress me. I also don't care how people spend their time and money. None of my business.

If folks wanna go to the museum in Kentucky, more power to 'em.:)

I have never heard of any Buddhists being fundamentalists. As far as I know, it is only the funnymentalist "Christians" who attempt to legislate their beliefs or views into our policies, schools or state constitutions, or have had television stations and networks fined because they were "offended" at the sight of two people of the same sex kissing each other, and their likewise fanatical counterparts in the Muslim faith who blow up cars and fly airplanes into buildings. If any Buddhists in this country have attempted to do that, then please enlighten me.

I have never heard of any Buddhists being fundamentalists. As far as I know, it is only the funnymentalist "Christians" who attempt to legislate their beliefs or views into our policies, schools or state constitutions, or have had television stations and networks fined because they were "offended" at the sight of two people of the same sex kissing each other, and their likewise fanatical counterparts in the Muslim faith who blow up cars and fly airplanes into buildings. If any Buddhists in this country have attempted to do that, then please enlighten me.

There have not been problems with Buddhists in the US, but they are known to partake in genocide and extreme violence elsewhere. Sri Lanka, Burma, Bhutan, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Kashmir, and Korea all have had major incidents involving Buddhists as violent instigators.

I often get the impression that self described atheists blame the world's problems on religion, as if it was some force that drives us to do harm to others.

Now, I'm not a big fan of the saying "guns don't kill people, people do".... but I think it can apply here. Religion, while acting as a secondary cause of many problems in the world, I believe that our problems are rooted in something deeper than religion.

Sure, you can lambaste religion for promoting violence, but the message of most religions is usually about love, peace, and respecting your fellow man.

Just as Christians used the Bible as a justification for the Crusades and the Muslims use the Koran to justify jihad, atheists have used science and the theory of evolution to commit genocide and many other atrocities.

This, in my opinion, raises the stature of religion as a promoter of peace and lowers it for human nature, which often drives us to seek power over others.

For the record, I am not an atheist, though I do not actively follow any of the major religions, and I do believe that religion as a force that causes strife in society. Religions tend to promote strong feelings of superiority and an "us and them" attitude among some followers. This inevitably leads to conflict when there is enough interaction between two different religions.

Sure, you can lambaste religion for promoting violence, but the message of most religions is usually about love, peace, and respecting your fellow man.

There many stripes of Christians out there, many of whom belong to churches already blessing same sex unions (or marriages). Most fundamentalist Christians used to have no problem with abortions (it is a fairly recent thing), leaving that fight to the Catholics, which if you read their philosophy on the subject, is quite convincing. Life preserved at all cost. Sounds pretty liberal to me (though I am pro-choice). You're experience with Christianity must have come in the form of an evangelical experience, where the Bible is quoted to support a particular viewpoint. Most Christians do not do that, instead relying on a mix of philosophy, tradition, and, yes, the Bible.

If you don't believe that violence has never been inflicted in the name of science, then perhaps you should read about the tests performed on Jews during the holocaust by German scientists. You may also want to head down South and learn about other "peculiar" institution known as eugenics. Entire clans of hillbillies, rednecks, and poor white trash were sterilized. Thousands were sterilized in Georgia and North Carolina alone. The Church (all churches) said nothing to their shame.

Like Snowguy said, it is not religion that is evil, it is its followers. And yes, I stand guilty along with everyone else. We all pick and choose what we like about a particular religion (like a cafeteria) and then follow those standards, ignoring the other.

It's interesting that you should use the term "truth" in connection with science. I was taught as a biology major that in science, we are not in search of truth; that's the job of the philosophers and religious scholars. That makes sense, since falsifiability is the friend of science. Anyway, that's another subject and goes beyond the scope of this discussion.

That becomes dangerous to society when policy decisions that should be made based on our best understanding of scientific fact are instead influenced by religous dogma. As I said above, I am not an atheist. I have my own spiritual beliefs, but I consider those beliefs to be seperate and independent of my scientific knowledge.

I often get the impression that self described atheists blame the world's problems on religion, as if it was some force that drives us to do harm to others.

Now, I'm not a big fan of the saying "guns don't kill people, people do".... but I think it can apply here. Religion, while acting as a secondary cause of many problems in the world, I believe that our problems are rooted in something deeper than religion.

Just as Christians used the Bible as a justification for the Crusades and the Muslims use the Koran to justify jihad, atheists have used science and the theory of evolution to commit genocide and many other atrocities.

This, in my opinion, raises the stature of religion as a promoter of peace and lowers it for human nature, which often drives us to seek power over others.

Any time that a religion makes claim to the "truth" pertaining to the will of god, it's setting itself up for extremist revisions. That's why religions like Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are so vulnerable to violent schisms. While I agree that human nature is the primary cause of destruction in the world, it is undeniable that religion has turned a lot of otherwise decent people into killing machines.

Archived