Uptown Activity

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to risk blasphemy and say that it's a weakness of New York and London that they've developed the kind of specialized financial districts that shut down after sundown. Wall St. is not an ideal urban district at all, and is really quite bland compared to Midtown or the Village. The same goes for Canary Wharf, which really reminds me of Tryon St. (minus the nightlife). I believe that both those cities would be considerably improved if their nightlife was spread more evenly across every central district, eliminating the pockets of nighttime deadness that inevitably become unsafe and stagnant (and, on the flip side, avoiding "theme park" districts like Times Square and Picadilly Circus, which are just obnoxious after the first visit or two).

I don't think it's such a bad thing that Tryon St. has become a business center by day and an entertainment district by night. The overlap might cause some inconveniences on both ends, but in the long run it will create a 24-hour district that other cities will envy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I was just out tonight from about 10 til 3 with my friend who works at Phils and was amazed at the number of people uptown. Most of fifth, tryon, college, and trade were swamped with people. I haven't seen so many people on the streets that late on a night that there wasn't a game or concert. Uptown is beginning to grow in popularity lately, especially with the nightlife crowd.

So I was just out tonight from about 10 til 3 with my friend who works at Phils and was amazed at the number of people uptown. Most of fifth, tryon, college, and trade were swamped with people. I haven't seen so many people on the streets that late on a night that there wasn't a game or concert. Uptown is beginning to grow in popularity lately, especially with the nightlife crowd.

Haha it was parked by the VIP entranace at the widespread concert as well haha. Downtown was awesome on thursday, and saturday night, we did not make it downtown on friday. C_N, what did you think of alley cat? We went in expecting something completely different, but still had fun. Shots and drinks were a little expensive, but we started drinking at CCC and Bentleys so we can't complain. The people were beautiful, and there were a ton of them. The club was huge, and they knew how to make their drinks I had fun. I've still yet to find a place I like better than madisons, which took me years to find. Nothing quite has the ambiance in charlotte.

post-9752-1186239384_thumb.jpg

Setting up staging for todays Criterium bike race downtown. They have a course set up that blocks off Tryon, 3rd, 5th, and 6th. I didn't realize this was such a big production.

LOT'S to do downtown today for free and not just for people to get drunk!

Japanese culture festival in Wachovia Atrium.

Fan Fest for the Panthers at BofA stadium.

Aforementioned bike race.

post-9752-1186239384_thumb.jpg

Would be nice to have more international events like this to get people better acquainted with other cultures (this being said without knowing what all happened at the above festival). We Americans, are for the most part, completely ignorant of the rest of the world unfortunately.

there is an indian (india) festival @ the atrium every year... i've been a number of times and it's always a good time.

also, every september @ UNCC - they have an international festival - which is amazing. i highly recommend it.

Parts of Central Avenue have parades and events each year for the Chinese New Year. There are actually a decent number of these type of events in town, they just aren't very publicized except by and in the communities that do them. I only catch them by watching some of the smaller publications and reading the Entertainment part of the paper each Friday.

Would be nice to have more international events like this to get people better acquainted with other cultures (this being said without knowing what all happened at the above festival). We Americans, are for the most part, completely ignorant of the rest of the world unfortunately.

I say Americans as a whole (not all because some are quite well traveled) are ignorant because it is constantly demonstrated. Most students now a days don't even know much about our own history, let alone anything about the rest of the world. Ask them where Warsaw is and most would probably say something like Minnesota. I was waiting in line the other day and a tv was showing CNN talking about Iran. A ~10 year old asked his mom where Iran was. Her response was "over near Iraq, I think we fought a war against them once." He goes, "wow, did we win?" She told him, "yeah, we beat them." I know that's one small example and could be isolated or even a result of CMS (but I went to CMS and I turned out alright) but I constantly see a lack of knowledge by our citizens about the world around them. Bringing cultural events to downtown helps all of us get in touch with areas that we may never see and hopefully corrects events like what I saw.

Archived