COMPLETE: St. Francis Chapel (Hampton Inn)

I have no idea how accurate this is, but I was told the following by someone who might know:

- St Francis Chapel will be renovated into a Hampton Inn. Interestingly, this person said that they are going to build a new structure adjacent to the Chapel "in the plaza next to it." I'm not exactly sure where this is off the top of my head.

I was also a bit confused about what he said regarding the parking. He said the lot (presumably the one in back) isn't big enough for a garage (not enough room for cars to go around), but I'm not sure what they'll do with it as a result.

He also said that the announcement might come as early as next week.

That area of Weybosset and Westminster, with the coming Downcity Diner, open Picture This, a new restaurant apparently confirmed for the Custom House space, a new hairdresser, W/100, and hopefully the Hampton Inn seems to finally be coming to life!

- Garris

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard a hotel was going there, but I hadn't heard Hampton Inn. RISD bid on it recently, but didn't bid high enough apparently. Losing that courtyard (it's between the Chapel and the Parking Garage) would be a loss, I'd urge the DRC to reject that. It's a nice pedestrian passage to points along the river (and will be even more used when the new waterfront park opens) and lots of people hang out there at lunch time scarfing down lunch or drinking a coffee. I don't know on what planet that the rear lot is not big enough either (it is a Hampton Inn though, aren't those usually set 1,000 yards back from and interstate?).

Losing that courtyard (it's between the Chapel and the Parking Garage) would be a loss, I'd urge the DRC to reject that. It's a nice pedestrian passage to points along the river (and will be even more used when the new waterfront park opens) and lots of people hang out there at lunch time scarfing down lunch or drinking a coffee.

I'm not sure I'd have a huge problem with that plaza going, especially since:

1) I can't even picture it...

2) I can't imagine it's worth such a project not happening...

Delta and Custom House St's are right there for river access, not to mention the Textron plaza two blocks down.

- Garris

It's a well used plaza, it's the only break for pedestrians between PPAC and Turks Head, it's a vital public space where a pedestrian can feel comfortable stopping, as opposed to randomly stopping in the middle of the sidewalk. I'd be curious to learn its status, it is obviously maintained by the chapel right now, but it may have never actually been abandoned, it would be a continuation of Hay Street. Peck and Delta exist, but they have extremely narrow sidewalks, the plaza is a much nicer passage for pedestrians going from Weybosset to Pine and beyond, I use it all the time to get to Dyer Street Landing to eat lunch. It's also right across from the Arcade, so if all the seats are taken in there, people take their lunch to the plaza.

The Chapel is plenty big enough for a hotel and there is a vast surface lot behind it, there's no reason to take the plaza. The surface lot may not be attached to the Chapel property, but if not, Hampton Inn should buy it or look elsewhere if the Chapel itself does not suit its needs.

It sounds like they want the Plaza to serve as a driveway off Weybosset. There's a small bit of surface parking between the Chapel and Delta Street that could serve as a driveway. If Hotel Providence is able to bring guests in off of Mathewson, Hampton should be able to make this location work.

hamptoninn001.jpg

hamptoninn002.jpg

And we just lost a public plaza on Weybosset to W/OneTen. I didn't mind that because that plaza was bleak, and the much nicer one at the Chapel was there.

interesting spot for a hotel, right across the street from another planned hotel (not that there's no hotels really close in providence). i agree with cotuit that the plaza should be preserved since they have a ton of space with the parking lot right there and that little sliver next to the building on delta st.

It's a well used plaza, it's the only break for pedestrians between PPAC and Turks Head, it's a vital public space where a pedestrian can feel comfortable stopping, as opposed to randomly stopping in the middle of the sidewalk.

I used to eat lunch there a lot - it's really the only public space to sit in that part of downtown. It feels a little strange to bring a bag lunch to the Arcade.

can someone identify which building is the chapel in those aerials?? Is this the same hotel that was mentioned in an old "hotel conversion" thread a while back??

thanks

it's the brick building next to the parking garage and the "massive parking lot".

Is this the same hotel that was mentioned in an old "hotel conversion" thread a while back??

There was a proposal for a hotel at the Federal Reserve Building which seems to have vaporized before it ever really went anywhere. A Hampton Inn Downtown would be good to replace the lower cost rooms that were lost when the Holiday Inn became a Hilton. The Federal Reserve proposal I believe would have been a high-end boutique competing with Hotel Providence, W, and the Renaissance. I think the W speculation killed that one.

Hampton Inn would be a great brand for Providence. i travel to alot of smaller towns and cities for work and theres always a Hampton in nearby at a good price. Nice hotel rooms and free breakfast in the morning thats actually pretty good too. They seem to be quite popular with the business travelers with the smaller expense accounts!

A Hampton Inn Downtown would be good to replace the lower cost rooms that were lost when the Holiday Inn became a Hilton.

Yes, I agree. However I would like to see a low cost hotel or motel go in somewhere along the service road near Rt 95. Possibly where they wanted to build a DD, or in front of the Advent House Apts across from the public safety complex. But not too low cost so as not to attract vice activity.

Hard to believe the same company that built this and this and this could operate in a location as tight as Weybosset Downcity.

Farbeit from me to rag on a new investor, of course, but ...

just to counter that... it's teh same company that has this and this. the first looks like a nightmare to brussat, the second looks like he'd fall head over heels in love with it. of course i don't know where exactly and how sprawling the area is around them. :D

of course there's also this and this and this and this. :thumbsup:

just to counter that... it's teh same company that has this and this. the first looks like a nightmare to brussat, the second looks like he'd fall head over heels in love with it. of course i don't know where exactly and how sprawling the area is around them. :D

The Crosstown one is pretty cool, it's right near Boston City Hospital (or that's the BU Med Ctr. or something now). It's minority owned apparently, there's a very short thread about it here.

The one on McGrath O'Brien Highway is nothing to be impressed about. The LiveLocal view of it is here.

The Crosstown one is pretty cool, it's right near Boston City Hospital (or that's the BU Med Ctr. or something now). It's minority owned apparently, there's a very short thread about it here.

i thought it was a pretty nice looking building. so is that thread back when you used to talk to yourself? :silly:

of course there's also this and this and this and this. :thumbsup:

So Hampton usually prefers to build crap but can do better in a pinch.

I wasn't necessarily concerned with the buildings themselves, but rather the undeniable suburban blah-ness of their complexes. Not to worry in this case, this being a reno rather than a fresh build. But I'd be very interested to know what they plan to do for parking. I don't expect much of them, I must say. :whistling:

So Hampton usually prefers to build crap but can do better in a pinch.

I wasn't necessarily concerned with the buildings themselves, but rather the undeniable suburban blah-ness of their complexes. Not to worry in this case, this being a reno rather than a fresh build. But I'd be very interested to know what they plan to do for parking. I don't expect much of them, I must say. :whistling:

i don't expect much either... but there is an existing building. i have a feeling they'll buy the "massive surface lot" next to the building and use that for parking. or maybe they'll share the arcade garage with the W.

what i'd like to see is them build on the surface lot and put a garage there with ground floor something*.

*something does not equal parking.

Hotel Announcement

Mayor David N. Cicilline,

First Bristol Corporation & Granoff Associates

invite you to a news conference announcing

plans for a new hotel in downtown Providence

Monday, June 4 at 10 a.m.

58 Weybosset Street

(St. Francis Chapel)

Archived