COMPLETE: St. Francis Chapel (Hampton Inn)

Perhaps some of you know this already - this project and the Arcade were purchased by the O'Connor group. This makes the 110 site ("W"), the Arcade, and Hampton Inn connected again (as it was when Grandoff held them all).

The good news is that there is a common major investment in the immediate area again. Perhaps as we live through the "ressssion of 2008" there will be life again in Spring 2009.

As much as I (and I'm sure the tenants in the Arcade) would like to know that the Arcade has changed hands, according to my sources, O'connor has not acquired the Arcade.

At this point The O'connor Group has 110, Granoff is partners with Karam (Bristol Corp.) building the Hampton Inn and Granoff has the Arcade, concur?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I (and I'm sure the tenants in the Arcade) would like to know that the Arcade has changed hands, according to my sources, O'connor has not acquired the Arcade.

At this point The O'connor Group has 110, Granoff is partners with Karam (Bristol Corp.) building the Hampton Inn and Granoff has the Arcade, concur?

Well, that is the point of my source's information. He syas that the O'Connor Group has aquired it all and that the 110 site plan will be decided before Feb 1st. We'll see if he is correct very soon.

Thanks for snapping that, I've been wanting to do a before and after:

hampton_june07-jan08.jpg

I remember DRC said those little white elements around the arch were too fussy, I'm glad they are gone, the arch looks much more classic now and fits with the original building better. I'm hoping the change in color on the addition is indicative of a better facade material, I'm hoping it is a blonde brick and not dryvit (hoping hoping hoping). I like that it is a different color/material and like the change to a strip of glass between the old building and the addition. I think it is good to indicate that the addition is new and not try to ape the style of the old building. The glass strip and the different facade tell the story that this was added to the historic structure later.

I like that the arch section is different height that the chapel, it could have just been a brick tower up to the same height as the chapel. The height variation fits in with the vernacular of Weybosset Street. Hopefully the OneTen remnant across the street will be re-incorporated into something new soon (I have a very strong fear that that will end up a pile of dust in the end), to maintain that vernacular.

There are forms up at the site showing the outline of the arch. Looks pretty neat. I didn't take any pictures because it was cold and raining, I'll see if I can walk by this evening.

I was just going to post that... The outline of the arch is indeed clear and it looks very nice and very appropriate there.

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that is the point of my source's information. He syas that the O'Connor Group has aquired it all and that the 110 site plan will be decided before Feb 1st. We'll see if he is correct very soon.

Baines, looking for the update on the ownership of the Arcade. It's Feb 3rd, any word?

• 3 weeks later...

Baines, looking for the update on the ownership of the Arcade. It's Feb 3rd, any word?

Have not been able to connnect with the source...travelling heavy. But I tell you, this long history of delay is wearing on me. Developers tall on hope and short on economic reality. I will try next week.

Have not been able to connnect with the source...travelling heavy. But I tell you, this long history of delay is wearing on me. Developers tall on hope and short on economic reality. I will try next week.

Thanks Baines. Really hoping that someone who will bring the Arcade back has purchased it. Looking forward to what you find out.

• 1 month later...

PROJO (pic): "The changing face of the city"

http://www.projo.com/ri/providence/content...v2.17721b2.html

"Topping off ceremonies were held yesterday as construction continued on the Hampton Inn & Suites. Crews on Tuesday were framing the upper floors of the new building that is next to the office building on Weybosset Street that was once used by St. Francis Chapel. The new hotel with 110 rooms and suites will incorporate both buildings."

Having a lower cost, business type hotel in the center of downtown can only mean good things. Business travellers no longer have to stay in the suburbs to keep their expenses within budget when meeting downtown. Along with the Courtyard and future Hotel Sierra there are new alternatives to the higher priced traditional Prov. hotels

If the Hampton succeeds and it should, this might open the door to more hotel development downcity.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Good grief ! I guess this says something about the current job market, and of the state of the economy. :shok:

5,000 apply for 55 jobs at new Providence hotel.

According to the state Department of Labor and Training, unemployment in Rhode Island was 8.8 percent last month, the highest level in 16 years. Just over 50,000 people are unemployed in the state.

Good grief ! I guess this says something about the current job market, and of the state of the economy. :shok:

5,000 apply for 55 jobs at new Providence hotel.

According to the state Department of Labor and Training, unemployment in Rhode Island was 8.8 percent last month, the highest level in 16 years. Just over 50,000 people are unemployed in the state.

The article is here.

None of the individuals named in the article are Providence residents, and in fact only one was a Rhode Islander.

Nice to see that the good old Providence Disconnects initiative from the City Dept of Planning and Development is working for the struggling unemployed service workers on the brink in this worst-in-the-nation job market.

Just remember that number. 243-9600.

• 2 months later...

Archived