Welcome to my neighborhood: Bloomfield!

Evergrey

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.popcitymedia.com/developmentnews

It turns out that the 5/3 bank didn't demolish that corner building to make a drive-thru or parking lot. Instead they are building a little park with trees and benches. I wonder if that building was beyond repair... I'm kind of surprised by this news. I still don't like the idea of this bank moving in, but at least it seems as though they're trying to be community oriented. Maybe they're not my arch-nemesis after all.

• 4 weeks later...

The Giant Eagle on Centre is too small??? Do you mean the store itself or the square footage of surface parking??? The store offers a huge array of products... and the site is pretty decently designed from an "urban" perspective... it's a huge improvement over every other store in the city since it doesn't have a sea of asphalt in front... and people can actually walk from sidewalk-to-store in under 10 seconds.

The parking is not problem at all... although the heavy traffic does require supreme concentration to navigate through... the garage portion always has ample parking spaces... take the elevator and 5 seconds later you're in the store. A resident of Bloomfield can walk there in 15-20 minutes... or take the 86A for 3 minutes... or drive their automobile there if they're so inclined. The store certainly isn't crummy... the huge crowds at all hours of operation is testament to that.

I've never been to the Shur-Save... though I will admit it's not the most aesthetically pleasing structure (the enormous and artistically-deficient pro-war mural has got to go). My position is that its huge surface parking lot is a waste... it's too big for the store and underutilized. I would like to see some sort of building go up on the eastern half of the lot... though with how parking-obsessed some of the natives are around here... I doubt that would ever happen. It's certainly an underwhelming "entrance" to Bloomfield at present.

Also... it would be nice if that huge parking lot across the street from the West Penn parking garage and between that other parking garage and the drive-thru First Commonwealth Bank could be developed some day. That block just destroys the continuity of Liberty... though there is a nice view of the Cathedral of Learning... since there is no urban development there to block that distant vista.

If I could walk to the Giant Eagle on Centre I'd probably like it. But I hate parking there. I agree it's nice that it isn't surrounded by a sea of parking spaces, but there is something about the way it's set up that makes me grind my teeth. So I prefer to go elsewhere if I'm driving.

The inside has certainly got a nice variety of products, but it's a little cramped I think. I suppose you get used to it if you shop there a lot; I'm just accustomed to the larger stores. Then again I do like the Trader Joe's, which is also small, maybe it's got more to do with how it's set up.

Archived