Learning Photography?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would definitely sign up for a class, especially if you have an SLR camera (single lens reflex) with multiple detachable lenses and manual speed and aperture settings, which it sounds like you have. There are just so many variables that can lead to a bad picture with an SLR type of camera vs. a point and shoot camera (like I have now). However, if you get the hang of an SLR with some training, the picture quality and capabilities are staggeringly higher than a point and shoot.

Saving up to switch back to a SLR someday (digital).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good way to get started? I am NOT looking to open a business or anything, but I would like to learn how to take good quality photos. The biggest thing that I am looking for is suggestions, books, or other information. Since I love architecture and the urban landscape most of my intention would be on that, and black and white photography.

Any suggestions, tips, or other information would be greatly appreciated.

Kendall has an art of photography class. Thursdays, 6:30 - 9:30pm. Session one is already started. Session two goes July 5, 12, 19, 26, and Aug 2, 9, 16. $195 + supplies.

"While other photography classes include extensive instructions in processing and printing, this class focuses on the basics, learning to use your camera and taking pictures."

Jonathan Russell. I've also taken photo classes at GRCC. Say cheese :camera:

The classes are fun and informative, plus you finish with lots of mounted prints all set for framing!

As a KCAD grad with a minor in photography, i'd advise taking a class at CC to learn the basics over KCAD. If you get Jonathan (can't remember his last name right now!) he's awesome at the technical aspects.

You also might do a Google. I suspect there's some online offerings, not the same as taking a class I shutter to think, but might help you understand an f-stop from a ASA so if/when you do take a class, you'll have some exposure to terminalogy, be a little more up-to-speed and focus on other matters of depth in the field.

[OK, pop quizz, how many photo terms did I sneak into my reply??? :rolleyes: ]

Have fun and good luck !!!!

You also might do a Google. I suspect there's some online offerings, not the same as taking a class I shutter to think, but might help you understand an f-stop from a ASA so if/when you do take a class, you'll have some exposure to terminalogy, be a little more up-to-speed and focus on other matters of depth in the field.

[OK, pop quizz, how many photo terms did I sneak into my reply??? :rolleyes: ]...

Here at UP we have a pinned thread in the photo forum where you can ask questions, etc. regarding photography. Aside from that I wouldn't put a lot of weight in purchasing expensive gear from the beginning. Find out if there is truly a love for it and at that point you can dive into more expensive gear. You can do wonders with point and shoot cameras, just go to flickr.com and browse photos by camera type and you'll see what I mean. I own a couple of SLR cameras but for a newcomer to the SLR arena the features can be overwhelming.

I'd wager most consumers who own a SLR camera never take it off of the automatic setting which honestly doesn't make the photo worth the several hundred extra dollars that you'll be spending for it. Learn the differences between aperture and shutter priority. Learn what ISO/ASA (film speed), aperture, focal length, white balance, exposure, etc. means and then dive into SLR territory.

On weekends I do event and portrait photography but it has taken me a few years to learn what all of the terms mean and how to control them all successfully to create the image I want. I would have likely fared much better if I had taken a few classes from the start at a local community college but I chose to do all of the learning myself through trial and error and reading book after book. I will say that looking at other's photography and dissecting it helped me the greatest out of anything else I did. On flickr.com the EXIF data is typically available unless the user specifies to strip it out before they upload their photo to the site. By looking at the image alongside the EXIF data you can see what camera was used, what the focal length was, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, if flash was used, etc. and you slowly begin to pick up on things.

In the end nothing will be a better teacher than just getting out there and taking photos every chance you get. Keep a camera with you at all times and if you see something of interest then take a picture of it. Photography is like anything else to learn, the more you are active in doing it the more proficient you will become at it.

Archived