Golf

TONYCLT

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last weekend when I was in Charleston, I got to go to the final round of the Champions Tour PGA Championship played at the Ocean Course on Kiawah Island. I had a blast. The players were much more friendly to the crowd than the PGA players on the main tour. I have been to the Memorial (Jack's Tournament) in Dublin OH plenty of times, and the players don't sign autographs, don't shake the fan's hands and don't chat much w/ them. I think they really take us for granted and it was nice to see that from the Senior players.

BTW, The Ocean Course, which I have played a few times on Kiawah Island, is one of the most beautiful courses i've ever been on and played, but of course it is extremely hard too. I think only 5 players in that tournament broke par. I won't even tell you how bad I was on that course, but I still had fun when I played it in the past.

I'm not sure, but a similar points sytsem worked for NASCAR maybe it will work for golf.

For those who are not sure how the FED-EX Cup works here you go:

From the Mercedes-Benz Championship (January 4-7, 2007) to the Wyndham Championship (August 16-19, 2007), PGA Tour players can earn points in each event they play. The goal is to be among the Top 144 points leaders following the Wyndham tournament. Players who are regular full-time members of the PGA Tour will earn points. A non-member who joins the tour during mid-season will be able to earn points in the first event he plays after officially joining the Tour.

After the Wyndham Championship, points for all 144 players are reset. The first place regular season points leader will be awarded 100,000 points, second place will be awarded 99,000, and then scale down from 3rd through 144th, with the 144th place receiving 84,700 points. The top 144 players will move on to the playoffs. The points on the reset scale will carry over into the playoffs. The prize purse for the Fed-Ex cup is 35 million dollars with 1st place getting 10 million down to 32,000 for 144th place.

These tournaments are he playoff events:

Barclays Classic (August 23-26) - Top 144 Points Leaders after the points reset (with 36-hole cut to top 70 players plus ties)

Deutsche Bank Championship (August 31-Sept 3) - Top 120 Points Leaders after the Barclays (with 36-hole cut to top 70 players plus ties)

BMW Championship (September 6-9) - Top 70 Points Leaders after the Deutsche Bank (with no 36-hole cut)

The Tour Championship (September 13-16) - Top 30 Points Leaders after the BMW (with no 36-hole cut)

If I got anything wrong please correct.

Edited by TONYCLT

• 2 weeks later...

Cabrera also dropped out. It's a tough week, right after the US Open. I'm not a golf fan, so I'm not sure who's actually there....

Maybe Zack Johnson will show up, that is still an autograph worth getting, I haven't seen him play much so I don't know how exciting his game is.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FED-EX Cup Points (thru mon.)

1 Steve Stricker---104,950

2 K.J. Choi---------102,900

3 Rory Sabbatini--100,650

4 Tiger Woods-----100,000

5 Phil Mickelson---99,613

6 Vijay Singh------99,000

7 Jim Furyk--------98,850

8 Zach Johnson----97,350

9 Adam Scott------97,150

10 Ernie Els--------96,967

Edited by TONYCLT

FED-EX Point Standings thru 3 events 1 more to go.

1---Tiger Woods--------30,574

2---Vijay Singh---------19,129

3---Jim Furyk-----------16,691

4---Phil Mickelson------16,037

5---K.J. Choi------------15,485

6---Rory Sabbatini-----13,548

7---Zach Johnson------13,341

8---Charles Howell III-12,126

9---Brandt Snedeker--11,870

10--Adam Scott--------11,196

11--Scott Verplank----10,691

Even after missing the first event Tiger Woods still holds a huge lead.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Tiger Woods can add one more thing to his resume the first player to will the 10 million dollar Fed-Ex Cup.

To bad it goes into retire fund. I guess that is good for the players. I also thought the FedEx Cup was awesome and media gave it a lot of bad hype. I think its better than the Chase for Nascar and will continue to be successful in my eyes.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Watching the last day of the AT & T Pro-Am at Pebble Beach. Vijay Singh is leading, but as this is the first golf tournment I've watched on my new HD TV, I have to say, Pebble Beach may be the most beautiful golf course in the country, and maybe he world. The scenery is amazing, and the course looks like it's been their from the beginning of time. It looks like it truly does belong there. Gorgeous.

The USGA just announced that Chambers Bay will host both the 2010 U.S. Amateur & the 2015 U.S. Open. Chambers Bay is a new municipal course in University Place, Washington, just outside of Tacoma.

Here are some articles on the subject:

U.S. Open here? It took a vision - Tacoma News Tribune

Digging An Open Landmark - Golf Digest

Chambers Bay is that good - Golf Digest

Pics of Chambers Bay and Wisconsin's Erin Hills - Golf Digest

Highlights:

[*]Chambers Bay opened just last June, and it