Constellation Huntsville, Construction Updates

HSVTiger

Now that this project has been formally announced a new thread would seem to be in order.

The latest, demolition is continuing of the old Market Square structure.

Heart of Huntsville Drive is basically complete, this road runs along the east side of the development.

The new bridge connecting to Monroe St. beside the Embassy Suite is progressing rapidly.

Bids are out on construction of the entire project.

051907_heartofhsv.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott McLain the developer back from retailer conference with optimistic outlook

Just back from his 22nd trip to the International Council of Shopping Centers annual spring convention, Huntsville commercial developer Scott McLain is optimistic about the local retail scene.

"We're well-positioned and well-recognized in the region as a profitable and prosperous retail market," said McLain. "Retailers have discovered the Huntsville market and are very interested in investing here.

"We're clearly on the map."

That's good news for McLain, who's searching for retail tenants for a planned $150 million development at the old Market Square site near downtown Huntsville. The proposed Constellation complex is to include two hotels, restaurants, shops, a condominium or apartment tower, offices and parking.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well with Bridge Street opening today and it will continue to open in phases over the next 6 months, pressure will shift to

Constellation. The hotels are anxious to break ground at they may happen soon. There we're some issues I think with

the city over some infrastructure but none are deal breakers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q&A from the Huntsville Times

Q. What happened to the Constellation project in downtown Huntsville? I heard about it back in May but haven't heard anything since. Is that project still on the map?

A. Yes, said Scott McLain, Constellation's developer. McLain said the site's two Marriott hotels, Courtyard and SpringHill Suites, will acquire their property next month and begin construction in January. Once some road access details are made final, deals with stores and restaurants can begin, he said.

The $150 million project at the old MarketSquare Heart of Huntsville mall site will have small shops and restaurants on the ground level and larger retailers on the second floor. McLain said working out agreements with retailers can take several months.

• 1 month later...

Kind of strange, but in the article in the Times today about possibly building a new city hall mentioned this plot of land as a possible location for the new city hall(if they decide to go that route). Doubt it will happen, but can the city annex part of this land via imminent domain? That would really suck...

From http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

"Watson mentioned two possible sites: The large city parking lot across from the post office on Clinton Avenue and the former Market Square Mall site where the $150 million Constellation project is being built. "

Of course nothing is in stone yet, the article mentions incorporated that land into Big Spring Park.

To each his own. I like the current building. If they do move it, it would make a pretty large impact on the skyline. I'm glad the alternatives location are still in downtown proper. I'm all for expanding downtown's boundaries(north of 565 and west of the parkway) but there is still a decent bit of unused land around that I'd like to see utilized first.

Tonights planning commission agenda has this on the docket, condos or the hotels maybe?

CONSTELLATION SUBDIVISION

Final (3 lots) Developer: Constellation, LLC

Engineer: SK International, Inc.

Located: Central City, east of Memorial Parkway and north of Governors Drive

Archived