Fred Thompson

kayman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fred Thompson is coming back down to earth!

He was recently asked what his biggest accomplishment was in the US Senate. He stammered and was not able to give an answer. During the same interview he was asked why he wants to be president. Again he stammered and gave no direct answer.

Can we all spell L*A*M*E????

Thompson doesn't even know why he's running for president. What a way to start a race for president!!

Fred Thompson is coming back down to earth!

He was recently asked what his biggest accomplishment was in the US Senate. He stammered and was not able to give an answer. During the same interview he was asked why he wants to be president. Again he stammered and gave no direct answer.

Can we all spell L*A*M*E????

Thompson doesn't even know why he's running for president. What a way to start a race for president!!

Wow folks, the recent Republican polls are showing ol' grimacing Fred to be ahead of Romney and McCain! Shows what weak candidates the two are, being swept aside so quickly by a newbie to the race.

Of course Fred Thompson hasn't been picked over by the media yet......

Also interesting is how he's gonna justify his pro-choice stance of his political past. I guess like George H.W. Bush "changed his mind to be pro-life" in 1980 to run on the Rep ticket with Reagan. And Romney is gonna be on the defensive about his pro-choice days.......so is Guiliani.

I guess it's okay to "change your mind" about the issue of abortion. Even when it's blatantly an act of political expediency~~

I'd like to see one (any) of the Republicans come out and say this: "Abortion is a personal decision and none of my business. Thus, it isn't the business of the government." A huge part of their constituency feels this way.

There seems to be two parts of the GOP base these days. One part is dying to cram all this moral crap (abortion, gay marriage, religion in general) down everyone's throats, and the section that's more socially liberal. I am getting REAL tired of the former. Unfortunately, they seem to be the loudest.

Another aside: as long as a president keeps his/her personal hanky-panky OUT of the White House, and it doesn't interfere with presidential duties, and the spouse practises "don't ask-don't tell", I could care less about presidential extramarital issues.

I think the biggest differennce between a moderate Republican and a moderate Democrat is the Republican believes the government shouldn't be in people's personal business in the first place, and the Democrat believes the government needs to actively promote equality. In reality, moderate members of both parties probably could care less how individuals chose to live thier life.

This is what makes Giuliani and Thompson true moderate Republicans....they believe the government shouldn't be dictating people's personal lifes.

I think the biggest differennce between a moderate Republican and a moderate Democrat is the Republican believes the government shouldn't be in people's personal business in the first place, and the Democrat believes the government needs to actively promote equality. In reality, moderate members of both parties probably could care less how individuals chose to live thier life.

This is what makes Giuliani and Thompson true moderate Republicans....they believe the government shouldn't be dictating people's personal lifes.

Unfortunately for the GOP, and I say that because I am a registered Republican, the Party has to cater to the likes of the Religious Right to win an election - or more specifically in this case, a candidate cannot alienate his or herself from the Religious Right if they realistically hope to win the nomination.

That is not true in Giuliani's case as he has already demonstrated that he is happy to let Gays & Lesbians be second class citizens in this country by actively supporting discrimination against them. If he were truly the candidate you speak of, he would have raised his hand during the debate when asked if he would support openly Gay people serving in the military. He is pandering directly to the same group of people who are very happy for the GOP to dictate down to the most minute detail of a person's private life.

Thompson has yet to speak because he is not a declared candidate, but I presume that he won't be any different.

True moderate Republicanism died with Gerald Ford's defeat when the GOP decided that it will ally itself witht disenfranchised Dixiecrat and Jerry Falwell's "moral majority" in order to gain back political power. It's taken the country down the toilet ever since.

Unfortunately for the GOP, and I say that because I am a registered Republican, the Party has to cater to the likes of the Religious Right to win an election - or more specifically in this case, a candidate cannot alienate his or herself from the Religious Right if they realistically hope to win the nomination.

Here's the easy answer to gays in the military......group quarters housing = don't ask don't tell......family quarters housing = who cares, bring your partner.....obviously this gets complicated by deployment, but I've yet to here a logical compromise that is inclusive and not discrimatory yet eliminates unnecessary sexual tension (whether real or perceived) in high-risk combat situations.

What I had typed earlier, and then deleted in my post about moderate Rebulicans is they believe the government shouldn't interfere in people's personal life EXCEPT when people's personal actions can pose a threat to others.....being openly gay in combat situations may or may not qualify as part of that disclaimer.

^ ^if it's not true then why don't these so called "moderate republicans" speak up on moral issues. i personally feel that guliani doesn't have an issue with homosexuals... whats is he so scared of...?? i believe it is the "moral majority". they may not be the true majority of the republican base - but, they are damn big... big enough, that republicans couldn't win a national election without them.

my question to you fellow UPers who are republicans: what in the world keeps you voting republican in national elections?? i can fully understand on a local level (where REAL republican ideals are enacted)... but, the face of the party on the national level is truly a shame and has consistently wraps itself in issues of exclusion. it blows me away - the republican policies on the national level do not come close to meeting the desires of most republicans i know... yet some of them continue to pound the drum. are they sadists, sheep, true supporters or just plain stubborn? what gives?

A few things I think we should do:

1) Remove the straight party vote.

2) Remove party affiliation from the voting booth.

3) Make it illegal to mention party affiliate in political ads.

It wouldn't solve all thr problems, but it would be a few steps in the right direction.

cinco, I vote all over the place except for the Presidential race, where I've voted Republican (although I came really close to voting for Clinton in 96) since 1984. The reason is that I believe the government should stay out of my life, help business prosper (large and small), and be strong on defense. Usually, that's they the way they've been.

^ For me, I tend to vote Republican for the national elections because of the core economic principals of the Party...pro business, smaller government, lower federal taxes, open trade policies, the idea that an individual is in a better position to manage their financial resources than the government is. All of the other "issues" (to me) are just noise...things that rarely come up for discussion or change at the Presidential/Congressional level.

Here's the easy answer to gays in the military......group quarters housing = don't ask don't tell......family quarters housing = who cares, bring your partner.....obviously this gets complicated by deployment, but I've yet to here a logical compromise that is inclusive and not discrimatory yet eliminates unnecessary sexual tension (whether real or perceived) in high-risk combat situations......

^ For me, I tend to vote Republican for the national elections because of the core economic principals of the Party...pro business, smaller government, lower federal taxes, open trade policies, the idea that an individual is in a better position to manage their financial resources than the government is. All of the other "issues" (to me) are just noise...things that rarely come up for discussion or change at the Presidential/Congressional level.

Archived