Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neo

Wachovia to build only 'green' branches by 2008

3 posts in this topic

I didn't really expect to see this so soon but Wachovia has apparently decided to only build 'green' bank branches by 2008 and should have 300 of these environmentally friendly branches by 2010. Unfortunately the company is rolling out the project in California instead of here. I suspect that BoA isn't far behind on this. The CBJ reported on this here but it doesn't mention whether or not the branches will be LEED certified, I assume no being just branch locations.

The Observer reported on it this morning. The ones they are building in California will all be LEED Silver certified, and a location in Austin, TX will be Gold.

I am very happy that a Charlotte organization is pursuing this. Not only does it seem good business, and good karma, but it is you really have to consider that the life-cycle of these buildings (decades and possibly centuries) makes it very very important that as many green buildings get built as possible. If the world switched entirely to some sort of green car, it will only take a decade or so for most of the cars on the road to be green. But it would take centuries for buildings.

The sooner we start, the better.