100 Commerce - Grand Central Lofts

GRDadof3

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is a coffee shop still going in the ground floor? I think a Seven Eleven would do great there.

7-11? They're all going out of business, lol. Yes, they are still looking for someone to put in a coffee shop. There are currently no coffee shops in Heartside, yet there are a ton of Cooley Students, GRid70 and the new GRid70/35 Oakes project, Douglas J, 38 Commerce. Seems like it might be a good opportunity. The coffee shop space is actually a cool two story space, with a small space on the ground floor facing the corner, and then a half-floor lower area where they envision lounge/seating.

Rapid Growth's Facebook page has pics of the renovation progress.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151037940058244.424742.13616718243&type=1

7-11? They're all going out of business, lol. Yes, they are still looking for someone to put in a coffee shop. There are currently no coffee shops in Heartside, yet there are a ton of Cooley Students, GRid70 and the new GRid70/35 Oakes project, Douglas J, 38 Commerce. Seems like it might be a good opportunity. The coffee shop space is actually a cool two story space, with a small space on the ground floor facing the corner, and then a half-floor lower area where they envision lounge/seating.

Rapid Growth's Facebook page has pics of the renovation progress.

https://www.facebook...16718243&type=1

Maybe Four Friends could be reborn.

7-11? They're all going out of business, lol.

Actually, 7-11 is making a huge comeback in urban areas. They are Japanese owned and have perfected the urban store in Asia. They have huge expansion plans in urban areas all across the US...and they aren't the crappy third-tier strip commercial buildings that I remember from the 80's. They are even beginning to sprout up in downtown areas of middle-sized cities.

Are you talking about Go Java on Ionia? If so, it is still open. I was just there a few days ago...

Joe

I was there 3 or 4 months ago. It has changed hands I think at least 3 times in the last few years.

Ritz Koney is leaving Ionia, fyi. Not sure if they are closing shop altogether...

I was there 3 or 4 months ago. It has changed hands I think at least 3 times in the last few years.

Ritz Koney is leaving Ionia, fyi. Not sure if they are closing shop altogether...

It's still open. Our neighbors own it now. I haven't been there recently. Seems like Heartside could definitely use a coffee shop with more hangout space, though.

As far as infill "possibilities", there IS an open lot on the corner of Oakes / Commerce (Pyramid Scheme parking) and a parking lot (that was/is?) for sale between United Way and the Douglas J salon. Not exactly right across the street, but same vicinity.

See, this is an equal opportunity smackdown forum. Even the moderators aren't safe. LOL. Can't we all just get along?

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I went to walk through this building a couple weeks ago. I couldn't have been more disappointed. The apartments are beyond small. I saw the largest one they had available and couldn't believe how small it was. It really makes me mad that it's always about the money and squishing in as many apartments as possible. What about maintaining the character? Why can't they keep at least one floor for the true "loft" feel with expansive open spaces and lots of exposed brick. Having one small wall with exposed brick doesn't make a loft a loft or give a space character.

• 2 months later...

Geesh!  Did they do anything to the outside of the building?  Looks awful.  The interior looks nice.  Hopefully they'll fix up the storefronts if they sign on a tennant.

You mean, pull that piece of plywood off? That's about all there is left to do yet.

You mean, pull that piece of plywood off? That's about all there is left to do yet.

Well, ideally if there were a good retail tenant in there, they would pull all those bricks out on the two windows closest to the corner and put full windows back in to restore the transparency to the street.  Or, if it really were a coffee shop, they could put in garage doors, a la Founders and have outdoor seating in the nice months.

Well, ideally if there were a good retail tenant in there, they would pull all those bricks out on the two windows closest to the corner and put full windows back in to restore the transparency to the street.  Or, if it really were a coffee shop, they could put in garage doors, a la Founders and have outdoor seating in the nice months.

True, I would guess that was a door and a garage door at one time.

If anyone wants to see the potential retail space and maybe some of the apartments, I can talk to them again about taking a small group through.

Archived