Northwest Arkansas Developer Troubles

cowbreath

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd expect to hear of rising unemployment in the region with all of the construction jobs that were here two years ago but are no longer out there.

Of course, judging by the things I see, the majority of the construction labor in NWA is under the table dealings with Mexican and El Salvadoran nationals.

You'd expect to hear of rising unemployment in the region with all of the construction jobs that were here two years ago but are no longer out there.

Of course, judging by the things I see, the majority of the construction labor in NWA is under the table dealings with Mexican and El Salvadoran nationals.

There are a lot of foreign-born construction workers but lots of caucasians, too. Depends on the trade. Most are all "self-employed" hence won't show up on unemployment rosters.....

I think a lot of people are making less than they were a year or two ago. Has to have a trickle-down effect on restaurants, car sales, etc.

Does anyone now what's going on with bellafont in terms of completion, etc.?

Operation Fancy Stripmall is continuing out at Bellafont. Andrew Jensen said in another thread the 60000 sqft retail building is starting next. The office tower ideas were just used to bring attention...just kidding....apparently one 12 story tower may still be in place to go up, but no telling when.

Operation Fancy Stripmall is continuing out at Bellafont. Andrew Jensen said in another thread the 60000 sqft retail building is starting next. The office tower ideas were just used to bring attention...just kidding....apparently one 12 story tower may still be in place to go up, but no telling when.

the first office tower will go up in what is called Phase 2A, which is the current construction site (although the height is being revised down, probably to 8-10 stories). The other three towers are planned for across Vantage in another phase of the project. That piece of land is zoned for the towers, but no plans have yet been submitted and I'd say they are a long way down the road.

the first office tower will go up in what is called Phase 2A, which is the current construction site (although the height is being revised down, probably to 8-10 stories). The other three towers are planned for across Vantage in another phase of the project. That piece of land is zoned for the towers, but no plans have yet been submitted and I'd say they are a long way down the road.

When the retail center construction starts is still debatable. There have been very few people out there over the last week which leads me to believe there is still a lot of confusion/bs going on between Precept and Barber

When the retail center construction starts is still debatable. There have been very few people out there over the last week which leads me to believe there is still a lot of confusion/bs going on between Precept and Barber

there was a crew out there this morning at the retail site of at least 10 guys. they look like they are doing prep work. They actually arrived last week on the same day all the rain started. if you drive by EMW you can see all the interior walls up and workers inside, so it looks like some things are happening, albeit slowly, over there.

there was a crew out there this morning at the retail site of at least 10 guys. they look like they are doing prep work. They actually arrived last week on the same day all the rain started. if you drive by EMW you can see all the interior walls up and workers inside, so it looks like some things are happening, albeit slowly, over there.

There has been even more activity out there today. There must have been 20-30+ people working on various buildings. I did not see any working on the possible Mellow Mushroom building or the East/West Spa but they were concentrating on a couple of slabs just north of Masons.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd mention it over here as well. I posted most of the info over in the Grandview Heights topic. But it sounds like they're perhaps having more problems than they're letting on.

Arkansas Business has reported that Dixie has sold off one of their up and coming developments, Appleby Landing. They've also been hit like some of the other developers. I suppose things like this happen even when the 'climate' is better. But I can't help but feel they're selling off a bit because of possible financial problems as well.

• 2 months later...

the Terminella v. MNB case continues to take contentious turns.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.as...31.94336.113576

Interesting story. Either way, I never cared for Terminella's projects. Their office buiilding on College in downtown Fayetteville is a really horrible looking building. I don't think they had very good taste. That said, I cannot see why a bank would want to cut them off unless they felt that they had to. I'm sure you will keep us posted as the facts come out.

the Terminella v. MNB case continues to take contentious turns.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.as...31.94336.113576

Thanks for the update Andrew.

Interesting story. Either way, I never cared for Terminella's projects. Their office buiilding on College in downtown Fayetteville is a really horrible looking building. I don't think they had very good taste. That said, I cannot see why a bank would want to cut them off unless they felt that they had to. I'm sure you will keep us posted as the facts come out.

Is it that new building that was built a couple of years ago?

Is it that new building that was built a couple of years ago?

Yes. It has the parking out front, windows that don't open, and looks like a bad suburban building smack dab in the middle of town.

Actually... the parking is in the rear. The front is landscaped. I remember they had a problem with the concrete parking lot before the building was finished and had to tear the whole thing out and repour it. Terminella has offered the building to the county for their expansion needs although I doubt the county takes him up on it. The building is an big improvement over the useed car lot that did occupy the lot.

Actually... the parking is in the rear. The front is landscaped. I remember they had a problem with the concrete parking lot before the building was finished and had to tear the whole thing out and repour it. Terminella has offered the building to the county for their expansion needs although I doubt the county takes him up on it. The building is an big improvement over the useed car lot that did occupy the lot.

Hmm...I could swear the parking was out front. I'll have to look at that next time I go by there. It looks like it is if it isn't the way the thing is sited. It's ugly. I am not one to subscribe to the "better than what used to be there" kind of thinking. I think what it could have been with some good design and no more expense. There is a huge lack of design in NWA. We have some talented designers but the developers aren't using them.

I must be a minority... I don't mind the Terminella building too much. It doesn't fit its surroundings, but it's a generic-ish looking office building.

I think what you stated is what bothers everyone else. I don't hate it, but I could certainly think of better buildings that could be there. Then again we are talking about College Ave. It's not like there's all sorts of buildings replaced all along it. But I see what Mark is saying. If you're going to go to the trouble putting in a new building, why not put in a little more effort and get something a little nicer. But at the same time, if someone was going to tear down some of the eyesores along College Ave and put in a general suburban style building, I don't know if I could complain too much. While a average looking suburban building might not be my choice of building there are a number of eyesores I'd like to get rid of. If only we could get things going on College Ave and be more likely to get someone to put in some nicer buildings to replace some of those eyesores. Anyway sorry to get us more off topic here.

While it's great to have an ideal of striving for excellence and having high standards, the reality is that people will improve their property as they see fit within the city's regulations. Personal taste also is a factor and there will never be a consensus on how a building should look. I would have liked to seen Terminella tear out the covered parking at the back of this lot and use the entire lot to build an attractive multistory building with parking on the lower levels. The number of places to build multistory buildings in downtown is limited and this one will probably stay at 2 stories for the forseeable future; a waste of air space I guess you could say.

I'll add that Terminella's building would fit in better out on East Joyce or in one of the CMN business parks. Downtown buildings should have more of a classic older look instead of the modern look this one has, although the Fayetteville Public Library with it's modern look fits in nicely.

While it's great to have an ideal of striving for excellence and having high standards, the reality is that people will improve their property as they see fit within the city's regulations. Personal taste also is a factor and there will never be a consensus on how a building should look. I would have liked to seen Terminella tear out the covered parking at the back of this lot and use the entire lot to build an attractive multistory building with parking on the lower levels. The number of places to build multistory buildings in downtown is limited and this one will probably stay at 2 stories for the forseeable future; a waste of air space I guess you could say.

I'll add that Terminella's building would fit in better out on East Joyce or in one of the CMN business parks. Downtown buildings should have more of a classic older look instead of the modern look this one has, although the Fayetteville Public Library with it's modern look fits in nicely.

No question, you can be modern and still be good. The library is a good example--you are right. I am looking for some office space and am going to look at the old library really cool space), the former Bank of America building on the square, and E.J. Ball Plaza all next week. It should be interesting.

No question, you can be modern and still be good. The library is a good example--you are right. I am looking for some office space and am going to look at the old library really cool space), the former Bank of America building on the square, and E.J. Ball Plaza all next week. It should be interesting.

I saw a movable scaffold on the side of the EJ Ball Plaza building this week. I wonder if they are going to start replacing the glass- if so I imagine the lease rates will go up drastically when it is finished. I also wonder how the lobby of the former BOA building is being handled. Are they going to rebuild the interior to make two totally separate floors? It's funny that the BOA sign is still on the building almost two years after the branch closed. Let us know what you find out, ok?

I saw a movable scaffold on the side of the EJ Ball Plaza building this week. I wonder if they are going to start replacing the glass- if so I imagine the lease rates will go up drastically when it is finished. I also wonder how the lobby of the former BOA building is being handled. Are they going to rebuild the interior to make two totally separate floors? It's funny that the BOA sign is still on the building almost two years after the branch closed. Let us know what you find out, ok?

Will do. It should be interesting to see what these projects look like up close.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived