Would you stop a crime/ violation in process?

While I think that we have a Police force that is full of hard working honorable people, there are just not enough of them, and I think that something needs to be done... by us.

This poses an interesting question if you saw a crime happening, would you do something to stop it? I guess it would depend on the type of crime, but lets say you saw someone breaking into your neighbors garage, would you stop them?

Also, if you noticed that your neighbor down the road had tall grass in their yard, a junked car parked on their back lawn, peeling and flaking paint? Would you call the City?

A friend of mine who lives in Philly had a lawn mower stolen out of his garage... and one of his neighbors (who is a bouncer at a night club) watched the entire thing go down, but did nothing to stop it. Would you?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I think that we have a Police force that is full of hard working honorable people, there are just not enough of them, and I think that something needs to be done... by us.

This poses an interesting question if you saw a crime happening, would you do something to stop it? I guess it would depend on the type of crime, but lets say you saw someone breaking into your neighbors garage, would you stop them?

Also, if you noticed that your neighbor down the road had tall grass in their yard, a junked car parked on their back lawn, peeling and flaking paint? Would you call the City?

A friend of mine who lives in Philly had a lawn mower stolen out of his garage... and one of his neighbors (who is a bouncer at a night club) watched the entire thing go down, but did nothing to stop it. Would you?

I stopped a crime in progress in my own house - a break in about a year and a half ago. I've also called the GRPD non-emergency number for random requests for service - noise, parties, suspicious activity. As citizens, I think we're supposed to be extra eyes and ears for the police, they can only do so much on their own. Calling in with detailed information if you see a crime in progress can make all the difference in prosecuting someone. Putting yourself in harms way isn't necessarily the way to go - guess it all comes down to circumstance. When I encountered the would-be-thief in my house, instinct took over and thankfully everything turned out ok.

*fish

Long story, but I called the cops (this was several years ago) on my downstairs neighbor when he woke me up one night because he was beating his girlfriend. Actually, they both woke me up since she was screaming and crying. She wouldn't press charges but I asked the cops if I could (disturbing the peace?). If they would have let me, I would have pressed charges or done anything else I could to stop that guy. Anyway, he tried to intimidate me in various ways, but I just kept up a list of various offenses, many in violation of the condo association rules and one included a personal property tax violation (one personal property "sticker" for two cars). Since they were renting from her brother, they finally moved out after the brother kept getting notices and letters from the condo association and me, but I always felt sorry that she wouldn't throw that guy in jail or just leave him (she had two young daughters to boot, who were exposed to that violence, at least by proximity).

My next set of neighbors were much nicer.

I would say no, do not try to stop a crime in progress, unless the victim's life is in danger. You seriously do not know what the criminal is capable of, which is why they are a criminal. They may be cracked out or schizo.

Definitely report if to authorities, though.

Archived