United Football League

eastsider

A couple businessmen have announced plans to form a new football league that will compete with the NFL. The United Football League is being financed by investment banker Bill Hambrecht and Google executive Tim Armstrong and billionaire Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavericks owner) is lined up to own one of the teams. The UFL will have eight teams located in non-NFL cities, games will be played on Friday nights beginning in August 2008.

Apparently, the league will target players who are not drafted in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft. They will be able to compete for those players because their salaries will be restricted by the salary cap if they were to go into the NFL.

Personally, I don't think this league will last long, if they ever play, especially if they play in the fall. The networks are already tied up in college and NFL broadcasting contracts and fans will also be already focused on their existing teams. A spring league might work though.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spring league would probably work better, definitely. XFL did have a miniscule fan base by the end of the only season, thanks to really poor marketing strategies. But UPN effectively killed the league when they said they would air XFL games if WWE's Smackdown was shrunk to 90 minutes, and McMahon refused.

Yeah if this happens at all? I would have trouble seeing it last over one year; The USFL only lasted three years. And playing on Friday Nights in the Fall?? No way...maybe 12,000 fans show up??

Like yall said, no one can compete with the NFL! Even NFL-(Germany)Europe is only on life support bec. of the NFL.

An interesting topic just per say..."urbanly speaking" TV-markets; which non-NFL city's might they chose?? Could they completely stay out of NYC or Chicago??

*Of course L.A. with no NFL Franchise.

*Memphis? Mad Dogs(old CFL)

*Las Vegas? Road Runners, Gamblers

*San Antonio? Gunslingers(old USFL)

*Portland? Predators

*Orlando? Thunder

*Norfolk? Silver Backs

-just having fun :rolleyes:

Not Milwaukee; they count Green Bay

What city's would yall chose from??

just gonna throw this out there, SF since Cuban is from that area.. Als o how aobut somewhere in Kentucky? They have no professional sports it may draw a crowd? I think the only way it survives like the AFL did in the beginning is pick cities that will show up and watch the games... After that you can really worry about TV and stuff, because if no one shows up to the games you definitely won't get people to watch.

Yeah if this happens at all? I would have trouble seeing it last over one year; The USFL only lasted three years. And playing on Friday Nights in the Fall?? No way...maybe 12,000 fans show up??

Like yall said, no one can compete with the NFL! Even NFL-(Germany)Europe is only on life support bec. of the NFL.

An interesting topic just per say..."urbanly speaking" TV-markets; which non-NFL city's might they chose?? Could they completely stay out of NYC or Chicago??

*Of course L.A. with no NFL Franchise.

*Memphis? Mad Dogs(old CFL)

*Las Vegas? Road Runners, Gamblers

*San Antonio? Gunslingers(old USFL)

*Portland? Predators

*Orlando? Thunder

*Norfolk? Silver Backs

-just having fun :rolleyes:

Not Milwaukee; they count Green Bay

What city's would yall chose from??

Nice list of cities. :thumbsup: Louisville and Birmingham would do really well. Two teams from Oklahoma?? No teams at all in the northeast???

The Oklahoma Outlaws of the old USFL was a really cool name; so was Pittsburgh Maulers.

What would be a good name for the UFL Louisville team?? What about ....Birmingham Clash or Bandits or Rhino's, Vulcans; etc.... Come on yall, throw some names out there and have a little fun with this thing!

San Jose Sharks

Sacramento Surge

Richmond Renegades

My goofy franchise names for the UFL:

Birmingham Bombers

Lexington Lizards

Richmond Racers

Tulsa Twisters

Oklahoma City Ogres

Austin Airwalkers

Columbus Crushers

Sacramento Silverbolts

San Jose Swashbucklers

Portland Punishers

Louisville Lazers

Santa Fe Strikers

Orlando Orbiters

Wichita Wanderers

Salt Lake City Slayers

Columbia Crashers

Hey dxartist, that's some creative nicknames with thier cities! I would love to see what the logos would look like on the helmets! Santa Fe has to be buzzin' about landing a franchise. :lol: Louisville has to be jealous of Lexington getting chosen over them.

Hey dxartist, that's some creative nicknames with thier cities! I would love to see what the logos would look like on the helmets! Santa Fe has to be buzzin' about landing a franchise. :lol: Louisville has to be jealous of Lexington getting chosen over them.

• 3 weeks later...

There's also talk of a AAFL, All American Football League. But it appears to be more of a transition for college players who don't make it to the NFL. Looks like they're also trying to set them up in areas where college sports dominate and there aren't any pro sports. I also believe this league will run when the NFL isn't.

There's also talk of a AAFL, All American Football League. But it appears to be more of a transition for college players who don't make it to the NFL. Looks like they're also trying to set them up in areas where college sports dominate and there aren't any pro sports. I also believe this league will run when the NFL isn't.

• 2 weeks later...
I just read that the AAFL had invitational tryouts in Orlando over the 4th of July and they went well. It seems like they have a very cool concept that the league is based on. I love college ball but the NFL just doesn't do it for me, its gone too corporate. Does anyone know where they are going to have teams located...I heard Gainesville and georgia for sure and a few other places are in talks to host games.

-W

I like the names of the teams Alabadrock :thumbsup: Richmond Rumble is a really cool name! ha

Looks like I got Birmingham's name right on my list :yahoo:

The Gulf Coast is a good idea...switching games between Mobile, Pensacola...even Boloxi??

I like the old CFL name for Memphis...Mad Dogs....but that might not be politically correct anymore?? Kinda like when the NBA's Washington Bullets was switched to Wizards.

I like the names of the teams Alabadrock :thumbsup: Richmond Rumble is a really cool name! ha

Looks like I got Birmingham's name right on my list :yahoo:

The Gulf Coast is a good idea...switching games between Mobile, Pensacola...even Boloxi??

I like the old CFL name for Memphis...Mad Dogs....but that might not be politically correct anymore?? Kinda like when the NBA's Washington Bullets was switched to Wizards.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about switching the games between Pen. and Mobile. I thought that they would choose one city and stick with it. But, now that you mention it, it does sound like a great idea. But, where would they play in Pensacola and Biloxi? I know Mobile has "The Ladd", but, I'm not too familiar with the Mississippi, and extreme western Florida stadiums.

But, I really like the idea of having a team for the Gulf Coast. Cause, I'm sure there are some people along the coast that don't cheer for Houston, NO, or Tampa. I mean, if there can be a New England Patriot, I'm sure there could be a Gulf Coast team.

• 2 weeks later...
They've leased Legion Field in Birmingham and I think they've got a deal with the Unviersity of Tennessee. I think they have a list of a few places they're interested in on their website.

Here's my list of this new football league (not AAFL)

Birmingham

Louisville

Austin

Memphis

Richmond

Orlando

Columbus, OH

Albuquerque (spelled as good as I could)

Maybe: Mobile or Pensecola (cover all of the central Gulf Coast)

Names:

Birmingham Vulcans

Louisville Lightning

Austin Outlaws

Memphis Blues

Richmond Rumble

Orlando Sun

Columbus Capitals

Albuquerque Arrows

Gulf Coast Pirates

Archived