United Football League

eastsider

I don't think anything is official as far as which cities have been chosen. These guys(including myself) were just having fun naming the best candidates(non-NFL cities) that might be in the UFL. Then throwing some "nicknames" out there; some very creative I might add.

So don't give up on Grand Rapids yet...who really knows?? Maybe the Grand Rapids Silverbacks??

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
The United Football League has been very careful to minimize the impact on High School Football. First, they'll start in the late summer and will have already played 3-4 games before the first High School match. Second, the UFL will play its championship match before Thanksgiving so the HS teams will get to play their playoffs on Friday nights with the sole spotlight. Also, it was implied early in the process that once the league builds a fan base (which should be easy since they're playing in markets that the NFL has ignored) it will be easier for them to play on other nights of the week where the NFL has already established itself (counter programming on Monday or Thursday, for instance).

Stay tuned, I hear the UFL is planning to announce at least four of the first eight cities sometime soon.

So wait a minute, this UFL is going to start in August? Why not start in May or something, so we could watch some football during the NFL's offseason.

Why should I pay attention to yet another league at the same time? I'm not going to watch football on Friday, Saturday AND Sunday.

• 9 months later...

It was announced recently that the UFL "Premiere" season will be played with four teams in a schedule beginning in October with a championship game on Thanksgiving weekend. A couple cities will share teams in the first season before possible expansion to all cities in 2010. There was also a recent announcement about the coaches (all former NFL) for the four teams. They consist of:

San Francisco / Sacramento - Dennis Green

Las Vegas / Los Angeles - Jim Fassel

New York / Hartford - Ted Cottrell

Orlando - Jim Haslett

The only venue announced so far is AT&T Park in San Francisco. The Versus network will be broadcasting a game per week, primarly on Thursdays. Players for the new league should begin signing in July. Also, ticket prices will average around $20.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived