21 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about duplexes?

• Atleast they add density
    • They ruin the character of the neighborhood
    • They are quite welcome
    • I absolutely hate them
    • They are welcome when built correctly
    • Much rather see a single family home

I think many times on this forum we fail to discuss whats taking place inside our urban neighborhoods. With most of the focus on the CBD we seem to neglect discussions about in fill inside our predominantly residential hoods. With that being said heres something that weighs on my mind every time I pass construction sight and see an offset foundation. The duplexes are plenty, all over Nashville in all of our neighborhoods. Every time I pass a lot where one is being built it makes me think about how much the developers dont care about anything accept pulling the biggest possible profit they can. With no regard for the neighborhood or anyone who lives in it. In an area knowns as the Nations in West Nashville here recently I have seen around 5 single family homes razed to build huge duplexes. Along with 3 or 4 more being built on already vacant lots. And anyone who's taken a peek at Salemtown knows the duplexes there are very very plentiful. I just wanted to get you guys opinion on the duplexes. Do you all think they will become undesirable in short time? Do you think they ruin the character of neighborhoods that were once graced by sinlge family homes only? The only urban neighborhood that comes to mind when I think of single family homes is Hope Gardens, which IMO is starting to gain steam because of that and surpass other neighborhoods who tend to build way more duplexes. I know there are other areas like Sylvan Park and parts of East Nashville that tend to lean more towards singe family in fill, but these seem to be the more historic areas that require less in fill. Well I could go on and on but you guys get the point? Whats your opinion?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends what the neighborhood is like already. If there are established homes with no duplexes, all single family dwellings, then I would be against them. If there were a development that has only militia family units then that would be OK. I would be really upset if I lived in Belle Meade and someone decided to make a McMansion next door into a duplex or even a triplex. Yes there are a few Condo/Apartments there but those have been there a while.

So I guess I would have to vote on the welcome when built correctly if it conforms to the area being built in.

127 Veiws and two posts. I'm not sitting here wanting people to post just because I started a thread about something that was on my mind. I just often wonder why we are so much less vocal about things that are happening in established neighborhoods. I love Skyscrapers just as much as the next man but I would love to see more posts about the actual neighborhoods. Idk maybe people dont have an opinion because they dont experience a real urban neighborhood daily.

Well said. Many times I feel the same way. I get frustrated when many issues that deserve discussion are way sided by skyscraper news. Don't get me wrong, I love construction and development but there are a lot of issues that need to be brought up.

This issue as well as the historic overlays in areas of town are not discussed here along with many other issues, and I think the problem is that many folks here are interested but maybe are not plugged in to the Nashville area or don

Looks like you have 14 votes now... I don't vote b/c I don't live in Nashville... although I'll admit that some duplexes are very nice. Like so many things, these depend on the locations. Generally speaking, I'd be against most duplexes. I would not be thrilled to have one next door to me, but proper regs and hidden parking to make it look less like a duplex would make it easier to live with. So put me down as a "welcome when built correctly."

Also, I think most people on this site (even the lurkers who don't respond) are generally more interested in the development of their cities than most others.

It depends on the city, how easy it is to build them. In Charlotte, duplexes in single family neighborhoods can only be built on corner lots, and the lot needs to be a little bigger than a standard lot. Of course, subdivisions are almost never platted to allow for this to be possible, because the builder wants to present an area to buyers, that will remain only single family use.

High Point (NC) is pretty lenient about surveying "flag lots" to subdivide SFR plots into doubles. It drives property owners batty, when someone plops a modular home rental in a back yard for income. But, there's nothing that can be done when the zoning allows it, and the modular is HUD code.

Archived