Plante & Moran Building

DwntwnGeo

Project update. They've been driving piles all over the site over the last couple of weeks, and now it looks like they are staking for the foundation (?)

2035403252_8a69ca4db2_o.jpg

I was also able to get the site plan. Just a rehash, the first two floors of this project will be parking, with 3 floors of office above. They are also going to rebuild and landscape the riverwalk along that side of the riverbank.

2034648127_b4e1cf9751_b.jpg

(North is to your right)

This project really stands out as you are driving (correction: Southbound) on 131 toward downtown.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "Suits" over at Plante Moran would be glad to hear you say that, because visibility was their No. 1 concern

It should be noted that the site plan above is still the conceptual version and not the one that was approved by the Planning Department. There were a couple small changes related to the Front Street elevation, but it is what it is for all intents and purposes.

I like the fact there will be some updating to the North Monroe area, but unfortunately, i'm not a fan of the building. Just seems to lack anything exciting on the river side. Not sure what the west side looks like, but i'm assuming more of the same. It's ironic that it looks a lot like the building to the north, which was built 20 years ago or so. Also, doing the parking ramp underneeth the building as shown in the rendering, it reminds me of that little office building on the South side of the Grand River, off of Northland drive.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're getting excited about moving into this place...I get a birds-eye view of the construction every day from our current offices :)

Plans call for us to move in in November 2008, so progress on this building should be fast and very noticeable.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What I would love to see done with that big wall is for them to plant vines at its base and let them grow to cover the whole wall. I know that won't happen, because the vines damage the concrete, but I think it'd look so much better.

What I would love to see done with that big wall is for them to plant vines at its base and let them grow to cover the whole wall. I know that won't happen, because the vines damage the concrete, but I think it'd look so much better.

I read in a plant book that said that is a myth. I don't know, just that I've heard that before and then learned from what looked like a reliable source that it may not be true. There is a restruante near me that used thin wires along a wall that the vines grew on. you couldn't see from a distance that there were wires but the plants stayed away from the wall.

I hope not. The pattern had nothing to do with our design concept. Christman is the CM and developer. What else have they done recently?

It was originally conceived to be smooth but the Planning Department wanted some texture because its a long wall along the street.

I've an acquaintance that ran wires up the fully exposed (no shade from trees) south side of her house for grapevines. It looks nice and the house is much cooler in the summer. Grapevine tendrils are less invasive than ivy -- requiring wires to climb that high. The grapes might attract critters -- which may or may not be desirable (I'd think NOT desirable). There must be a non-fruiting vine that is less invasive than ivy.

I read in a plant book that said that is a myth. I don't know, just that I've heard that before and then learned from what looked like a reliable source that it may not be true. There is a restruante near me that used thin wires along a wall that the vines grew on. you couldn't see from a distance that there were wires but the plants stayed away from the wall.

Archived