Downtown will be hopping this weekend!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something is wrong with THAT picture! I'd sure be open, even if I had to get my grandmother, my cousins, and my ex-con neighbor to hustle tables, wash dishes, or do whatever to work my establishment for the weekend. What a great chance to market your food or business to people who otherwise might not be downtown.

Something is wrong with THAT picture! I'd sure be open, even if I had to get my grandmother, my cousins, and my ex-con neighbor to hustle tables, wash dishes, or do whatever to work my establishment for the weekend. What a great chance to market your food or business to people who otherwise might not be downtown.

Dang! Is there a slew of people downtown!

I got to discover Blake's Turkey, open until 8 pm today and tomorrow (closed Sunday). Never been here before--cool, comfy, plenty of seats, wifi in the corner window, quiet, no one bumping into anyone else.

Olive Express probably had a child custody run (Ann Arbor). Hopefully tomorrow.

Took pictures of those same aforementioned "we're closed" slackers. (How many potential customers walk past on a daily basis? How many times as many folks walked by just tonight? How many might have wandered in and looked over the merch, even if not buying something today, and come back for a holiday/occasion shopping trip? It's not like they have to do anything other than unlock the door and turn on the lights!)

Meanwhile, the place next to them (says SOUVENIRS in the window) has his door propped wide open, racks of sunglasses on the sidewalk. He's probably got a tub of cold drinks and 1 oz sunscreens too.

Too bad there's no signage or any identifying marks at the bookstore. With the Federal building stage closed, they've moved a tent to Fountain St almost out front of RB, so there is a huge happy population right there.

I really can't wait for Festival the year there's alot less downtown construction and all those closed streets are open and we've subsequently more parking, and more town to traverse.

I'm excited in general for the cranes to leave the skyline and for our city to look as wonderful as it can.

Pics from last night:

We are open for business, and we're glad you're here!

100_0059.jpg

Nuthin' to see here, keep moving...

100_0058.jpg

Here neither.

100_0064.jpg

Open! C'mon in!

100_0067.jpg

This is the line almost out the door:

100_0062.jpg

Make your own park:

100_0061.jpg

Respite

100_0063.jpg

Some sound techs pay $$$ for flashing colored lights. Our Faire City provides same for free (the red glow behind the banjo player turns green, then yellow)...

100_0068.jpg

New out-there tent locale by the bookstore

100_0065.jpg

EMS is open, too (just before I shot this, a kid was touring the facility)

100_0060.jpg

Floor plan for Fox lofts

100_0066.jpg

My dance stage in a few hours

100_0069.jpg

I love Four Friends!

And you're right, I was thinking the same thing-- about needing more festivals in G.R.

I went to Festival last night and had a great time. What I love about Grand Rapids is that you can know at least thirty or so people there, and then meet thirty or so people once you get there and consider them friends by the end of it all.

We didn't make it to Festival until this afternoon. We, along with several hundred others, tried to be good sports and weather the constant downpour of rain, but it became too much. :( Even a lot of the event tents were packing it up early. It's too bad too because we also REALLY need the rain.

Archived