DTW Hopes to Add Extension of Monorail

rbdetsport

This is absolutely great. I always wondered when the day would come when the airport would start to study the extension of the McNamara Terminal Monorail. The plan sounds good mostly because it would extend far enough north so that it can connect to the Ann Arbor-Detroit Commuter Rail. CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS TO BE OUR FIRST PART OF, hopefully, a huge transportation system in Metro Detroit.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../706010440/1003

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/apps/pbcs.dll...G/70601005/1039

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely, rb. The best efficiency that I imagine is since whatever Ann Arbor-to-Detroit transit comes to be, it is most likely not going to dip south and directly service the airport. In effect, what should be done is under the same project proposal as the AA/DET commuter/light rail proposal is to include an expansion of the Midfield Terminal's tram to service all of the terminals as well as extend to intersect with the station on the AA/DET transit line. That way, an airport traveler has ONE and only ONE transfer enroute to either downtown AA or downtown DET. Payment for the tickets would be simple and economical and could even enclude a round trip option for the return trip to the airport.

I think investing in this kind of infrastructure (tram on its own right of way) would be invaluable for the Aerotropolis concept and may even have the opportunity to expand and service into the Aerotropolis "community" when it starts to take shape. If only this region will get its act together.

I agree. I always wondered if the McNamara/Midfield Terminal Monorail would extend to the new North Terminal. If that is not in the plans, they should maybe think about reconfiguring them slightly to fulfill that. But all in all, this would be a good thing just because of the fact that it would be connecting a part of the airport and the AA-Detroit Commuter Rail. EDIT: After reading crain's, it looks like a connection to the north terminal is in the plans for the future.

It would be good if the whole shabang was connected under one (ONE) utility or service. The last thing I want to see is all these hodgepodge proposals coming in from every direction proposing connections to this and connections to that.

If it can be done, purchase the rights or ownership to the Northwest tram at the Midfield Terminal and go from there. Use it and its technology as this so-called monorail that will do the servicing. It will be clean, efficient, affordable, attractive and contribute to the high rankings that Metro Airport is. Having a clusterfookey of connections and modes and proposals and methods is a disaster and should be a lesson we've learned after years of transit disaster in SE MI.

This is great! Quite a few at DetroitYes where worried that people would have to take buses two and from the commuter station. I still think the station would be successful even with shuttle buses, but this is much better if this goes through.

I'm also glad to here about the proposed cargo expansion. Really, if the 'airport city' gets off the ground we could see a lot more money being pumped back into Wayne County, and, by proxy, Detroit would benefit.

If it can be done, purchase the rights or ownership to the Northwest tram at the Midfield Terminal and go from there. Use it and its technology as this so-called monorail that will do the servicing. It will be clean, efficient, affordable, attractive and contribute to the high rankings that Metro Airport is. Having a clusterfookey of connections and modes and proposals and methods is a disaster and should be a lesson we've learned after years of transit disaster in SE MI.

yes, you are missing something... the fact that I said it would be idiotic to build it to merriman and michigan avenue. Look at a map and see how far that is. Then, look at the aerial and look what is between there. I am saying that it is simply not the best MODE for the connection.

If that's what they want to build, more power to them. I'd much rather they stretch the small monorail line up to the station than connect the airport to the station with shuttle buses. I guess I still don't get what you're saying. If they want to connect the airport to the new station via a rail, why complain? The station already has a monorail line, so why not fully utilize it by expanding it to a newly created commuter station stop just north of the airport?

This seems exactly what we've been advocating, that if we're using existing lines for commuter rail, that stretching light rail to certain destinations that can't be reached by the commuter rail is the best option. For instance, any new commuter station for central Detroit is going to be in New Center, and stretching a light rail line to downtown is what we've wanted. In the same way, since the commuter rail is a mile or two north of the airport, the extension of the monorail to the airport is not just an acceptable option, but a great option.

Detroit had commuter rail service, a streetcar system, and a bus system at the same time. In fact, it had a ridership of 492 million for the year of 1941, and the city had already approved a subway plan that never materialized back in 1933. So, it's not correct to say that Detroit never really developed a rapid transit system; it had quite an extensive system which makes how easily and quickly it was dismantled amazing to me, that it could be disconstructed and most of us never knew anything about it.

Here's an old map from 1942 at the height of service of the streetcar system:

DSRMap_print.jpg

If that's what they want to build, more power to them. I'd much rather they stretch the small monorail line up to the station than connect the airport to the station with shuttle buses. I guess I still don't get what you're saying. If they want to connect the airport to the new station via a rail, why complain? The station already has a monorail line, so why not fully utilize it by expanding it to a newly created commuter station stop just north of the airport?

This seems exactly what we've been advocating, that if we're using existing lines for commuter rail, that stretching light rail to certain destinations that can't be reached by the commuter rail is the best option. For instance, any new commuter station for central Detroit is going to be in New Center, and stretching a light rail line to downtown is what we've wanted. In the same way, since the commuter rail is a mile or two north of the airport, the extension of the monorail to the airport is not just an acceptable option, but a great option.

I see what you're saying now, but if they have to piece this together, it's still better than nothing. The monorail line, in my eyes for the time being, is to get people to and from parking and to rental cars, and then to connect to the commuter rail to serve peak hour populations. Yes, it would be a "people mover west" not being fully utilized, but at least it will be there when more regular service is put between the airport and Central Detroit.

So, you think this particular plan would be a waste of time and money, right?

I see what you're saying now, but if they have to piece this together, it's still better than nothing. The monorail line, in my eyes for the time being, is to get people to and from parking and to rental cars, and then to connect to the commuter rail to serve peak hour populations. Yes, it would be a "people mover west" not being fully utilized, but at least it will be there when more regular service is put between the airport and Central Detroit.

So, you think this particular plan would be a waste of time and money, right?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like the Airport Authority may be trying to move forward on this plan and it looks like the line extending to AA-Detroit Commuter Rail may actually happen. Only thing in the way is Northwest.....

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/newsletter02

And an Editorial:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/newsletter02

I think NWA's opposition is more of a PR ploy than an actual, grounded opposition. By coming out against the "ticket tax" it makes them look like they're lobbying on behalf of passengers and trying to keep ticket prices low. Ultimately though, the marginal cost of the landing fees with respect to average ticket prices would probably go unnoticed as airline ticket prices are probably going to rise with fuel prices anyway.

Besides, when the authority decides to build this thing against NWA's wishes what are they going to do? Does anyone really think they'd leave or even reduce service over something like this, especially after all they've invested in the new terminal? Yeah, I doubt it.

Like I said, I think it's just PR on their part.

Build that Monorail!

But really, a $7 tax is not something that should be frowned on. I believe that if a tax is increased to help the lifestyle of many, then it should happen. Most people buying airline tickets will barely even notice the increase. $7 is a small proportion to the overall cost of flying.

I think NWA's opposition is more of a PR ploy than an actual, grounded opposition. By coming out against the "ticket tax" it makes them look like they're lobbying on behalf of passengers and trying to keep ticket prices low. Ultimately though, the marginal cost of the landing fees with respect to average ticket prices would probably go unnoticed as airline ticket prices are probably going to rise with fuel prices anyway.

Besides, when the authority decides to build this thing against NWA's wishes what are they going to do? Does anyone really think they'd leave or even reduce service over something like this, especially after all they've invested in the new terminal? Yeah, I doubt it.

Like I said, I think it's just PR on their part.

Build that Monorail!

• 1 month later...

Archived