I-16 through DT Macon

UrbanAtl

It would be beneficial for Macon's future to build a new Interstate-16 further east, tying into the old 16, north and south of downtown Macon. The land that the interstate occupies is greatly misused IMO. The land where the existing I-16 passes through the city is some of the city's best, adjacent to the banks of the beautiful Ocmulgee River, and should be used more wisely. It would be great to redevelop the land for the citizens of Macon rather than for the people who are just passing through. Funding would be difficult but not impossible. The properties along the Ocmulgee on a new Champs Elysees-like avenue could be zoned high density and be sold to help pay off bonds for the construction of the new avenue, the interstate relocation, and additional parkland along the Ocmulgee River. This would recenter downtown Macon on the Ocmulgee rather than west of the river while further increasing its livability and allure. Another benifit would be to expand the Ocmulgee Mounds National Monument into one large cohesive park.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that would be difficult because so much of the land that surrounds I-16 is Native American land that they want preserved. They have fought just about any type of development thats tried to come that way. The best example of that is their resistence to the Fall Line Freeway.

That's the point: protect the river banks and other land that is not currently developed, and develop the tract of land where I-16 currently runs, relocate I-16 far east of the downtown and away from the Ocmulgee Mounds. It should be a win/win for all... minus the cost. A city should never limit how large it dreams.

Archived