CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Carriage West

gs3

Not sure if these have been mentioned on UP or not. Carriage West Townhomes. I stumbled on them today. A couple of blocks on deeper into West End, behind Pendleton West. Looks fairly nice. Great to see the resurgence going on in West End. :thumbsup: Anyone have any additional details on this project? Seems to have flown under the radar.

DSC02763.jpg

DSC02764.jpg

DSC02766.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that's more affordable! I like the way the West End is redeveloping. It's hard to believe anything flies under the radar with this group. :silly: If this is a couple of blocks deeper into the West End, then is it in the city limits? Also, in relation to St Francis, where is this?

I don't think $190,000 is affordable. I personally think if your home mortgage exceeds 3 times your annual income, you have bought too much house. And you shouldn't be paying PMI or have an 80-20 or interest only loan either.

So what is affordable? Under $120,000 for a family of 4 making $40,000 per year.

I think "affordable" is a very relative term. Is $190,000 for a house in Greenville affordable? No, not in the overall metro area. But for the West End, I think that is fairly resonable when you compare it to places like The Fieldhouse at West End or the condos that will be rising on Rhett Street. But it also makes sense, because the area surrounding Carriage West is not the greatest and you are a little farther off the beaten path. I would not spend $190,000 for a condo here, in this location, at this point in time (and probably not for quite some time).

190,000 for a 3 bedroom, 3 bath, 3 story townhome anywhere around downtown is good when compared to prices for other downtown / West End condos. Now would I pay 190,000 for a townhome on this street in the neighborhoods current condition? No. However, with more redevelopment and gentrification, the prices won't stay at 190,000 for this much square footage for long. :dontknow: Is this in the 110 to 140 affordable range? No. Would still like to see true affordable around downtown.

I don't think that there is any way there will ever be new unsubsidized housing in and around downtown in the 110-140 range. 190,000 is affordable to a large group of people, and that's probably as low as you'll ever see for 3 Bed/Bath. For the 110-140 range the only thing that MAY be available would be a studio or small 1 bedroom. Successful dowtown and urban areas will always draw a premium, and Greenville is not the exception.

Thats why its advantageous to get on the ground floor of projects like Pendleton West. Of course, it easily could have flopped. Thats the risk you take.

I really don't consider 190k "unaffordable" But it does seem a little high for townhomes. Especially if you are pushing even further away from the ballpark.

In any event, I'm REALLY happy to see something like this going up that way :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They aren't really "West End-ish", but they aren't on the beaten path either, so it doesn't bother me. If these were on Rhett Street or Pendleton Street it might enrage me a little. It's just great to see this development take place and what it will offer to downtown.

---

Speaking of which, what would you all consider West End colors? Definitely not pastels. I'm kind of thinking more bold and neutral colors. Colors that currently exist as painted advertisements on buildings in the West End and brick related colors.

IMO West End colors should be deep, dark colors that match the bricks and wood, and of course neutrals. Much like the colors on the West End Field sign or the colors in Smoke on the Water.

That brings up a subject.....does the DPC have to approve colors in West End? When I lived in Mobile, AL. I had a house in the Church Street Historic Area and had to get city approval before painting the outside as it had to be an approved historical color. Does our DPC require approval on colors for West End?

Archived