CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Carriage West

gs3

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carriage West is on Memminger ST.

Also, thought most of use were for less DPC control? Last thing I want out there is more oversight. Let people paint what ever color they choose!

Anyway, DPC has power of the CBD and the Historical Overlay Districts and Neighborhoods.

West End filed is in the expanded CBD but not the West End Historic District that is why the Fieldhouse can be as tall as it is but not Main at River. Also I think the Pendleton West area might be completely outside of the DPC's control being out side the CBD and outside the West End Historic District.

Carriage West is on Memminger ST.

Also, thought most of use were for less DPC control? Last thing I want out there is more oversight. Let people paint what ever color they choose!

Anyway, DPC has power of the CBD and the Historical Overlay Districts and Neighborhoods.

West End filed is in the expanded CBD but not the West End Historic District that is why the Fieldhouse can be as tall as it is but not Main at River. Also I think the Pendleton West area might be completely outside of the DPC's control being out side the CBD and outside the West End Historic District.

It's seems to me that a lot of the pain of dealing with the DPC would be eliminated or reduced if their standards were spelled out ahead of time. Developers spend a lot of time and money doing site planning work... only to see it rendered meaningless by the DPC. In my mind, approval shouldn't be a surprise. It should be obvious.

I think that's a very important thing you two are discussing and not one that I have thought of before. The door for development could be opened wide with some set guidelines from the DPC. Just knowing what to expect is key, I think. They wouldn't allow 10 stories on Rhett Street, so they lowered it to 8. But a block away, the DPC refuses a 4 story structure... Some rules laid out in black and white would be key.

I think that's a very important thing you two are discussing and not one that I have thought of before. The door for development could be opened wide with some set guidelines from the DPC. Just knowing what to expect is key, I think. They wouldn't allow 10 stories on Rhett Street, so they lowered it to 8. But a block away, the DPC refuses a 4 story structure... Some rules laid out in black and white would be key.

Is RiverPlace not in the West End? Are The Fieldhouse and the ballpark not in the West End? What makes the historic district so special that everything around it should be reduced in height? I don't understand their reasoning. I can understand them not wanting highrises in the West End (though I would like to see a few), but four stories is nowhere near that height and would not create an ominous feeling for pedestrians. On the contrary, if designed properly, a four story structure could work magic in that location.

Is RiverPlace not in the West End? Are The Fieldhouse and the ballpark not in the West End? What makes the historic district so special that everything around it should be reduced in height? I don't understand their reasoning. I can understand them not wanting highrises in the West End (though I would like to see a few), but four stories is nowhere near that height and would not create an ominous feeling for pedestrians. On the contrary, if designed properly, a four story structure could work magic in that location.

• 1 month later...

Archived