Earthcraft House

gs3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No it isn't when the point is whether its "earth friendly" or not. It's the developer that is choosing to put these kind of developments where there isn't any transportation. It's the developer that is calling this earth friendly and the reality that it isn't. Don't call people ludicrous on this forum.

There are people on treehugger.com that would have a huge problem with building houses with walls and floors that thick. Think of the trees you would be killing. I would think building with SIPs would be more efficient and use less trees.

Why would a larger home be less earth-friendly if it uses zero energy? If the homeowners had a garage for storage of their bicycles, would that be ok? If a farmer built a zero energy home and called it earth-friendly, would he be wrong because he built it on acreage? What I am getting at is that everyone is different and their needs are different. Just because a home doesn't meet your criteria for earth friendly, doesn't mean that it isn't earth friendly.

I simply don't understand that remark. The whole idea of sustainability is to build with minimum waste and and energy usage and to promote a lifestyle that supports these goals. They have a huge problem with cheaply built housing with 4 in walls because it requires more maintenance over the years and wastes a great deal of energy which in this country mainly means buring fossil fuels.

If you don't think the ideas put forth on treehugger.com are worthwhile then so be it. I personally think that a home with a huge sign in the front yard, plastered with corporate logos, that states that it is environmentally friendly, most likely isn't. I stated the reasons I think the home isn't and I note that nobody has really disputed those reasons but rather disputed the definition in the first place. It's a play on words but in the end this home is no better than tract housing, from what I can see in sustainability and being good for the environment. Hype /= sustainability

Earth Craft Guidelines

Ok that link will take you to the Earth Craft Guidelines. WHile Energy Star is part of the program it does not stop their, efficiency is just part of the certification. It goes way beyond what they were doing in the 70's.

Some of the things you can get points for are as follows.

-Usuing a Lot that has been developed before.

-Saving Trees

-Using materials that can be recycled or are recyled such as countertops and tiles made form recycled glass.

-Using higher energy efficient insulations and materials

-spacing the stubds that maxium distance aprart, this decreases amount of material needed

-using diemensions that reduce the cutting of raw materials therfor reducing scrap

-Grinding up scrap to be used as mulch

-no Garbage Disposals

-carpet is biodegradable

-25% of cement is fly ash or slag

-50% of wood from renewable resources

-Use of re-claimed wood

etc. etc.

I think you've all forgotten the number one important thing about this house - that it's spreading awareness. That has to count for something. It's getting people to talk and think about these issues. People who normally wouldn't. Sure, calling it "earth friendly" when it has its shortcomings won't appease the most eco-minded individuals. But trying to get the masses to follow the strictest, most environmentally-friendly lifestyles will only get you ignored or laughed at by most. That's hardly proactive.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived