Downtown Jackson- What Are Your Ideas?

tombarnes

Ideas for Downtown Jackson

Yes, I'm swiping an idea from the Baton Rouge forum... Share your thoughts on what you would like to see in downtown Jackson here. Bars, restauranrs, night clubs, bookstores, sports stadia etc.. Give us your thoughts. Contrary to what suburban naysayers might believe, downtown Jackson is experiencing a revival. It may take a couple of years before the results are apparent, but it's happening.

Thoughts anyone?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at Trustmark Park for the Braves game today and off and on throughout the entire game I kept visualizing the stadium located in downtown. The stadium is fabulous by the way and the location in Pearl is good. But I sure would have loved to have seen it built downtown. The perfect location would have been behind the convention center and Telecom center.

We lost out on that one though so now I'd like to see an arena built on that site.

I was at the game Saturday night also, and with the rain delay and extra innings, the game wasn't over until about 11:45. Instead of taking the interstate home, my wife and I took the back streets through downtown. I was stunned at the traffic downtown at that time of night. All the clubs and bars were packed. Dowtown Jackson was hopping Saturday night. Made me yearn a little bit for the days when ole spoody was a champion barhopper and all night rounder.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still hoping to see a new performing arts center and perhaps a stadium or arena with decent capacity built downtown. How big do you think such an arena could be? Is it time to replace the Mississippi Coliseum, or has it got a number of years left. I'd bet on the latter, but still wonder whether or not this sort of venture could be tied in with the new convention center.

Well since I love architecture, I would like to see Jackson get a 40-story office tower, versus companies being located in office parks in the suburbs. I think having a signature tower would let the rest of the Southeast know that Jackson has arrived, just like Nashville, Charlotte, Memphis, Birmingham and other cities here in the South. And now that I'm thinking about it a 30-story condo tower and a 30-story hotel would be awesome too!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Kenneth, I remember back in either the 70's or 80's, the city put a height restriction on buildings. I don't remember the reasoning why, but I always suspected that it was to insure that no building would be built taller than the then Deposit Guaranty Plaza building, now Amsouth, that was the leading banking institution in the state forever until selling out. Still makes me sick to this day. Of course the stockholders took the money and ran, and after a few turnovers, Amsouth took it over, dissolved most of the local jobs, and turned the now Amsouth Plaza into nothing but a big ol' branch.

Anyway, I don't know if the height restriction is still on the books or not.

Thanks for that information. Ever since I was a kid and came over to Jackson from Atlanta to spend summers with my grandparents, I always wished Jackson could have a tall building like Atlanta. I take a deep interest in Jackson and Mississippi as a whole because of my ties with family there. I have half Mississippi and half Georgia blood in me. Well since it is 2007, they may want to think about lifting that restriction since the tallest office tower doesn't represent Jackson and Mississippi anymore. I have heard about the great growth going on downtown and I think it is awesome!! Maybe in a couple of years we'll see that tower looming over the Jackson horizon! :thumbsup:

Maybe when Jackson can get a few more large corporations to locate there. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more interest in this regard. I expect it will come in time. Jackson must repair its existing downtown before reaching to the sky, however. Let's see more urban infill developments, a restored King Edward and a convention hotel or two and then who knows what may happen? Without a doubt, Jackson needs to attract more downtown residents. The KE will do some of that, but more needs to be done. I've heard talk about the Robert E. Lee building being converted into condos. This and the Standard Life Building project could work wonders. Has anyone heard anything more about the possibility of the old Lamar Life building on Capitol Street being turned into condos?

Archived