Wal-Mart in East Hartford?

JimSawhill

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I currently reside in a NC city that has 6 Super Walmarts. I dont think they really add to the their respective areas other than increased traffic. And this area is really lacking homegrown retail, something I really miss about New England. I don't know if the area has always lacked the local business but assume big box retail killed them.

Walmart will kill any small business that competes with it. They have the power to significantly lower their prices until their competition goes out of business. Say goodbye to any small hardware store, sporting goods store, toy store, clothing, etc... It has happened to many communities, but don

Hi all:

Did anyone hear that Wal*Mart is going to build a store on Silver Lane? Someone said it will be where J.M.Fields was. Also, I heard Adli will be building where the Salvation Army is. Anyone got more info?

JimS

They still haven't announced which big box store put in an application to demolish the old Manchester Parkade...Since Manchester pretty much has them all now (except Kmart which closed and is still open in Vernon) I'm not sure how much more sense one would make in E.Hartford. Would any chain open another of their stores that close to the other?

walmart will not spur anything but trafic and closed small businesses. resturants in the area of walmart will not benefit as the people who typically shop at walmart do not have the disposable income for dinning out. walmart is a bad idea.

walmart will not spur anything but trafic and closed small businesses. resturants in the area of walmart will not benefit as the people who typically shop at walmart do not have the disposable income for dinning out. walmart is a bad idea.

I think there are some communities, like the South End of Hartford that have actually benefitted from Wal Mart. They turned that area into a thriving and growing retail center when at one time it was the projects. Regardless of how harmful you feel suburban style development is, it has improved the area and quality of life of residents by bringing in stores that they are actually interested in shopping in and jobs that they can actually get. I think a lot of the same arguments can be made for the Silver Lane area. If indeed Wal Mart is coming it may be due to the fact that they feel the area is primed for a large retail boom due to ongoing development at Rentschler, which can be seen as a positive thing. I agree that Wal Mart can kill small retail, but first there has to be small retail that is worth caring about in the first place. Wal Mart is not really a threat to convenience stores and fast food franchises which is about all I know to be abundant in that particular area.

A predominant reason to hate on Wal-Mart is the fact that it doesn't franchise, meaning profits are never fueled back into the economy in which the store is located, but rather are siphoned off to Bentonville. Studies have shown that big boxes in general, and Wal-Mart in particular, cause more economic harm to neighborhoods than good because they kill local businesses that, though more expensive, actually contribute to the communities in which they operate. Frankly, I hate on Wal-Mart because I see it as creating its own demand; by outsourcing manufacturing and paying low wages, it perpetuates the very conditions that put so many people in the position of having to shop at Wal-Mart. It's a rough analogy, but think about the world immediately after WWII: the US loaned a ruined Europe money to buy US goods. Wal-Mart is more complex than this, of course, but its negative attributes can't be denied.

Incidentally, I think it's unfair to call a Wal-Mart critic a leftist. Capitalism naturally creates monopolies, but few would argue our antitrust laws are "leftist." They simply acknowledge that the market is imperfect and that the government has a role in remedying market failures. Of course, we normally associate anticompetitive behavior with higher prices, but perhaps there are other undesireable qualitites: like boarded up main streets.

A predominant reason to hate on Wal-Mart is the fact that it doesn't franchise, meaning profits are never fueled back into the economy in which the store is located, but rather are siphoned off to Bentonville. Studies have shown that big boxes in general, and Wal-Mart in particular, cause more economic harm to neighborhoods than good because they kill local businesses that, though more expensive, actually contribute to the communities in which they operate. Frankly, I hate on Wal-Mart because I see it as creating its own demand; by outsourcing manufacturing and paying low wages, it perpetuates the very conditions that put so many people in the position of having to shop at Wal-Mart. It's a rough analogy, but think about the world immediately after WWII: the US loaned a ruined Europe money to buy US goods. Wal-Mart is more complex than this, of course, but its negative attributes can't be denied.

Frankly, I hate on Wal-Mart because I see it as creating its own demand; by outsourcing manufacturing and paying low wages, it perpetuates the very conditions that put so many people in the position of having to shop at Wal-Mart.

Archived