Wal-Mart in East Hartford?

JimSawhill

Exactly. If there was no Walmart in a certain area and there were local businesses instead, then the profits would be going to locals, who would then spend their profits at other local businesses, and so on and so forth. Shopping at Walmart does nothing to support your local economy since its wages outside of management positions are low.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Incidentally, I think it's unfair to call a Wal-Mart critic a leftist. Capitalism naturally creates monopolies, but few would argue our antitrust laws are "leftist." They simply acknowledge that the market is imperfect and that the government has a role in remedying market failures. Of course, we normally associate anticompetitive behavior with higher prices, but perhaps there are other undesireable qualitites: like boarded up main streets.

• 6 months later...

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hr/hc-sw...94.story?page=1

Walmart wants to close the Manchester store, including Sams Club, and open one of the 24 hour supercenters across the way, off Pleasant Valley in South Windsor-- Behind Evergreen Walk and the Toys R Us plaza in Manchester....

So much for them looking at the lot of the old Parkade.....

• 2 weeks later...
Yes its too far from the Highway, and the building was bought by a developer with plans of turning the parcade into some kind of mall like place but with more street interaction. There were a few articles in the manchester reminder about it. It was supposed to unite the businesses of the area to make it a more successfull shoping district and to provide an alternative to buckland. I have not heard anything about it in a while, but I have not been paying much attention. If this guys plan does not work out, the city of Manchester was going to buy it and turn it into a recreation center/librabry for the town on a massive scale. Manchester is actually a rich government with all the development on the north side of town and they are trying to figure out ways to improve city services

I may be wrong, but I am merely repeating what I read in the reminder thing thats left on my doorstep every month. maybe their editors were recycling an old article. and like I said I dont read it much anymore.

The developer if I recall was a guy with a latino name. and there was something about adding a 2nd floor to the place, but like I said this was a year ago. around the holidays I think.

The city was trying to build a new Library and build a recreation center. thats what I call improving services. Also they have been adding cops, and trying with no luck I might add to revitalize the old main street.

I think the city dumped a bunch of money into the schools recently as well. At the very least they are rebuiding that one on main street.

Hell I may be wrong, but all that stuff is just what I recall reading or seeing. since I moved to Manchester a year and a half ago.

Archived