Northgate

richyb83

I will have to agree with itjustme3 on this one. Student housing is seen as a prime investment for investment groups because the tenants (students) aren't paying the rent and its easy to price gouge the parents who will always pay on time.

Most importantly, in the eyes of the developers, is parents who can afford to send their kids to a out of state school like LSU will pay top dollar to guarantee their little snowflakes are in a safe apartment complex.

Personal experience. If you care to disprove me then feel free to.

In the past at UNO: studio apartment (not the dorm) was $1050/mo. U Texas in Austin was $1100/mo.

Hell, Southgate Towers (which is awful) is over $1000/mo for a studio.

Those schools are both in cities that I think we can all say are more in vogue and housing there is generally more expensive than in BR. NOLA rentals were inflated even before the storm. It has nothing to do with the size of the school as you said...given that UNO and UT Austin have vastly different enrollment numbers. 

Edited by garrett_225

Those schools are both in cities that I think we can all say are more in vogue and housing there is generally more expensive than in BR. NOLA rentals were inflated even before the storm. It has nothing to do with the size of the school as you said...given that UNO and UT Austin have vastly different enrollment numbers.

hahaha...ok...sure. It's just a myth that student housing is expensive. It's only here in Louisiana that students (specifically parents) are gouged.

I'll take a stab in the dark that you, like Antrell, have never lived on/near campus in a non-dorm at college.

But hey, whatever. Think what you want to think. You are wrong though.

Edited by itsjustme3

hahaha...ok...sure. It's just a myth that student housing is expensive. It's only here in Louisiana that students (specifically parents) are gouged.

I'll take a stab in the dark that you, like Antrell, have never lived on/near campus in a non-dorm at college.

But hey, whatever. Think what you want to think. You are wrong though.

Your intuition fails you. 

I moved out of a 2 bedroom, $800/month place literally across the street from LSU less than a year ago. It wasn't new or gated. But it was not trashed and it had a pool. 

So yea, you are wrong. 

Edited by garrett_225

It's cheap QUALITY. They are intended for students. The rent is HIGH. That is the norm on college campuses. CHEAP QUALITY HOUSING for STUDENTS that is EXPENSIVE for studio APARTMENTS.

Now, what point did you have again?

Exercising that caps lock key, I see. 

If it was cheap quality you were referring to, maybe you should have said that from the beginning instead of spouting off about pricing issues. 

Next. 

• 1 month later...

Yes it was approved :thumbsup:

Not able to locate the other rendering of The Standard on web...in The Advocate's Business section on Saturday. The pic was really cool... of the roof-top deck with Palm trees/swimming pool & a view of Tiger Stadium in the background. I'll keep on the look-out! :shades:

Original rendering way back on POST #64

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Can somebody here please do me a favor? Go to the 1st page of this "Northgate" topic & see if the pics have been deleted with "X" in the box....I see the "X" with no more pic...it's frustrating!

On going construction at the 274-unit The Standard...

*from West Chimes Street

Feb15%20028_zpscejhwpoq.jpg

*Alaska Street is along the powerlines; took this pic further back to show how large this new project is

Feb15%20029_zpsvkxalo9f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Not sure about this...while i think the mixed-use development would be nice....you'd be destryoing the eclectic/organic street-vibe along Chimes Street...

Howell Place & River House topics have already been bumped off...didn't want this to happen to the Northgate thread too

Investors looking to buy entire block of West Chimes Street for mixed-use redevelopment

West-Chimes-Retail-3.vu_.jpg?q=70&fit=cl

https://www.businessreport.com/business/investors-looking-buy-entire-block-west-chimes-street-mixed-use-redevelopment-2

Edited by richyb83

• 2 years later...

LSU North Gate area bracing for increased competition from Nicholson Gateway

Commercial development near LSU is booming—at least on some sides of campus.

To the west, LSU’s massive Nicholson Gateway Development is nearing its expected fall completion. To the south, several commercial and mixed-use developments are underway along Burbank Drive, from Highland Road all the way out to Bluebonnet Boulevard.

But the story is much different around LSU’s North Gate—Baton Rouge’s second-oldest commercial neighborhood.

Nicholson Gateway marks the first phase of a total transformation of the Nicholson Drive corridor—the largest underdeveloped tract of university-owned property adjacent to the heart of campus. The 28-acre site between West Chimes Street and Skip Bertman Drive will feature 38,000 square feet of retail space, anchored by Matherne’s Market, and 1,625 parking spots.

North Gate, on the other hand, has neither grocery stores nor adequate parking. It does, however, claim some of Baton Rouge’s most legendary businesses, including The Chimes, Louie’s Cafe and the original Raising Cane’s. Still, being so close to campus has been paradoxically difficult for the area.

Bounded by Highland Road, West State Street, Lake Street and Chimes Street, the historic district is “limited” in its capabilities, says Highland Coffees owner Clarke Cadzow, who doubles as a recreational North Gate historian. Chief among these: Business nearly comes to a screeching halt when classes are not in session.

“When one adds up all of the school holidays at LSU and the periods between semesters, one gets about 16 weeks, or close to four months,” Cadzow says. “That number does not include summer school, which, of course, has far fewer enrolled students than do the fall and spring semesters.”

From 1925 until the early 1980s, Cadzow says, most off-campus dining and shopping took place in the North Gate area, then known as Tiger Town. Before 1980, there was little restaurant or retail development south of campus.  

Since that time, however, an influx of new apartments for LSU students have been built south of campus, not to mention the newer on-campus amenities available to the LSU community. Restaurants and retail stores followed.

Real estate broker Jonathan Walker of Maestri-Murrell Commercial Real Estate says the city’s southern section is seeing most of the development because of a “greener pastures effect,” fueled by a housing boom. In line with Baton Rouge’s current retail trends, these developments are primarily “stores you can’t find online” that offer “a service and an experience,” he says, including nail salons, restaurants and fitness centers.

Walker says the Nicholson Gateway development and the North Gate area primarily target the same consumer: students.

“Retail follows rooftops,” he says, adding, “Nicholson Gateway is on campus, so I think they’ve got to be able to survive just by the student population.”

Cadzow maintains the North Gate area still has its charm. Every fall, for example, it hosts the North Gate Fest, a popular music and arts festival held on Chimes Street.

“There is no doubt that the competition will continue to increase, but we have no control over that,” he says. “We need to continue to remind people that we are here … and that we are worth supporting.”

https://www.businessreport.com/article/lsu-north-gate-area-bracing-increased-competition-nicholson-gateway

Nice! They seem to have built the Gateway at lightening speed. Now LSU is almost like a complete city now that they have a grocery store. I know LSU is an institution of learning but could they benefit from finding ways to bring non-students to campus (aside from sports)?