Northgate

richyb83

Me too! That prime property sat vacant for too long...

Glad you could stop by and post BRPJ :thumbsup: How is Dallas??

Thanks! Dallas is fantastic and booming as usual. I'm actually back here, for now at least. Things are really coming up. Especially if you've been away for a while.

It's not bad, but if you like Izzos, you will be dissapointed.

Genghis Grill would have been awesome there.

I live by Chipotle! I haven't been able to try Izzos, yet. I wonder what the difference is? Chipotle is pretty tasty.

Edited by BRPJ

• 1 month later...

Ice House slated for North Gates

A new restaurant is slated for the North Gates of LSU in the old upstairs location of Godfather's at Highland Road and West Chimes Street—if you're old enough to remember eating pizza there. But as of now, applicant Jim Porter has a logistical problem: There's no parking. He's asking the Planning Commission to waive the requirement for 53 parking spaces he would ordinarily have to provide in order to open.

Though the item appears on the agenda for the commission's meeting Monday, a commission spokesman says it will be deferred until the Sept. 17 meeting. Some business owners in the area have raised objections to the Ice House deal precisely because of inadequate parking. However, a Planning Commission staffer says many of the new businesses at the North Gates—including newcomers Five Guys Burger and Fries and Chipotle Mexican Grill—wouldn't be there if it weren't for similar parking waivers. Even The Chimes had parking waivers before it built additional parking behind its restaurant, says project coordinator Ryan Holcomb, and many of the establishments rely heavily on foot traffic from campus—especially during the football season. The building where the Ice House wants to locate last housed a restaurant in 1995.

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportAM

Ice House shouldn't be allowed to open then. How hard is that for some people to understand?

. Interesting words from someone who seems to distrust government's intrusion into private business.

I don't really have an issue with it....though I see your concern. There is plenty of pedestrians in that area during the day who don't use a car and plenty of parking on campus at night.

. Interesting words from someone who seems to distrust government's intrusion into private business.

In this situation, you have the North Gates in the midst of a makeover. By stacking businesses on top of each other and completely disregarding the ordinances then you are making the area a cluttered and tangeled mess before it's even finished growing. It's bad enough they don't plan for the future. It's worse when they completely ignore their own business requirements.

• 1 year later...

Time to revive this thread again after nearly a 14 month hiatus! Two developments set to go before the Planning Commission Nov 20th...

Curious to see a rendering of The Standard that will be 5-stories w roof top pool! Wonder if nearby residents will complain of the height? The Fieldhouse condo's nearby are 4 floors...also the 333 Lofts addition(just SE of campus) is mentioned

LSU-area housing development plans submitted

Plans for two LSU-area multifamily housing developments, which would add 310 units, have been submitted to the city-parish Planning Commission.

The developments are The Standard, a 274-unit development that would be built on West Chimes Street across from the LSU Natatorium, and the second phase of the 333 Lofts on East Boyd Street, just outside the South Gates of LSU. It will include 36 loft condominiums.

The Standard is being developed by Landmark Properties, of Athens, Ga., which has student housing complexes mainly in the South. The company has developments in cities such as Athens; Oxford, Miss.; Tuscaloosa, Ala.; Knoxville, Tenn.; and Columbia, S.C. Over the past few years, Landmark said it has developed and built more than $500 million worth of student housing.

The development will take up a 4.5-acre block bordered by West Chimes, Aster, Iowa and Alaska streets. It will be made up of a five-story apartment building and a six-story parking garage with a rooftop pool.

The 333 Lofts opened in summer 2012. Developer Brian Dantin said the 28 units sold out in 10 months. That led to the construction of the second phase, which is next to the existing development. Plans are to demolish two existing homes and build the three-story development, which will have 36 units.

*rest of article*

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/7286213-123/lsu-area-housing-development-plans-submitted

• 1 month later...

Yes it is Cajun...but it's just as I thought(in Post #59)...nearby residents complaining a new  5-story apt. would go on that site...bet they try to compromise & drop it to 4 floors & some will still complain!

Residents oppose new student apartments near LSU

Athens, Ga.-based Landmark Properties—which a month ago submitted plans for a 274-unit apartment complex on a 4.5-acre block bordered by West Chimes, Alaska, Aster and Iowa streets near LSU—will face opposition from nearby residents tonight when its application comes before the Planning Commission.

In a six-page letter sent to Planning Commission members on Thursday, an area couple expresses concerns about the short-term and long-term impacts the construction of the five-story apartment building and six-story parking garage—known as The Standard—will have on their property and home, which is located on the corner of Aster and Iowa streets.

The couple's letter includes questions and concerns about such things as the side setback requirements for the property; the protection of a 30-year-old pecan tree; the mitigated fill requirement for construction on a floodplain; stormwater drainage; the impact of pile driving and the parking garage's vibration on the pier foundation of the couple's home; noise level; air pollution from the parking garage; and increased traffic.

Objections of the sort are likely to mount, especially if plans for additional campus housing developments continue to pop up, as real estate agent Wesley Moore expects.

"Enrollment is at its all-time high at LSU and I don't see it trending downwards," Moore told Daily Report after The Standard's plans were submitted, "so that supports adding additional beds and units. I consider multifamily in general to be successful, and I expect demand to continually increase."

*rest of article

http://www.businessreport.com/article/20131118/BUSINESSREPORT0112/131119827

Edited by richyb83

I don't get why people who live in areas like these move to these places and never expect to see growth. They live near one of the larger universities in the country, yet want to limit growth near the area. If you don't want change, don't move to the middle of a decent sized city next to a state university with 30,000 students and nearly 7000 staff.

• Like 2

I don't get why people who live in areas like these move to these places and never expect to see growth. They live near one of the larger universities in the country, yet want to limit growth near the area. If you don't want change, don't move to the middle of a decent sized city next to a state university with 30,000 students and nearly 7000 staff.

Couldn't have said it better! That's what I always say!

For off campus housing? A studio at a rate of $1000/month is not cheap.

Have you ever been a student living on/near the campus of a large university? Doesn't sound like it. The amount of price gouging for student apartments ranks right up there with "universal athletic fees" and "$500 history books".

Edited by itsjustme3