Rhett Street Brownstones

btoy

Maybe once they sit a little longer with no action, maybe the developer will change the plans to downsize the square feet and increase the number of units, whether the increase involves vertical division or a squeeze horizontally... More units and more residents would help the West End. :)

They might want to think about scaling down the elevators in these also. How much does a 4 story elevator add to the cost anyway?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They might want to think about scaling down the elevators in these also. How much does a 4 story elevator add to the cost anyway?

Obviously, the elevator is a selling point to lure the older demographic... I don't know what it adds to construction costs though.

I heard/read somewhere it's about 100k, but I don't now if that is for a basic or deluxe model.

That seems to be awfully steep for a single residential unit to absorb. I googled "cost of an elevator". I found estimates from a couple places that are around $15-20k for a residential elevator. For a $800,000 unit... that seems do-able.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Glancing through the City's proposed budget online, they have plans to redo Rhett Street from Camperdown to O'Neal Street, and then in a second phase extend it to Markley. It says it may include, but is not limited to wider sidewalks with furniture, parallel parking, and resurfacing. Hopefully we'll see the 8 story residential building get the green light before too long.

Glancing through the City's proposed budget online, they have plans to redo Rhett Street from Camperdown to O'Neal Street, and then in a second phase extend it to Markley. It says it may include, but is not limited to wider sidewalks with furniture, parallel parking, and resurfacing. Hopefully we'll see the 8 story residential building get the green light before too long.

I wonder what's up with the sales center for the 8-story building? Shouldn't it be open soon?

• 1 month later...

I drive past this every day and I just can not get a feeling for how all this is going to lay out. Theres this big concrete foundation in the rear that seems like if any other units were bilt it would be akward. I don't know how the other units are going front up to the street. Anyone have an idea?

I drive past this every day and I just can not get a feeling for how all this is going to lay out. Theres this big concrete foundation in the rear that seems like if any other units were bilt it would be akward. I don't know how the other units are going front up to the street. Anyone have an idea?

My understanding is that these two units will face Rhett Street. A 'driveway' will be put in to the right of them and extend to the rear of the site. The other units will face the driveway. Can anyone verify or tell us for sure?

My understanding is that these two units will face Rhett Street. A 'driveway' will be put in to the right of them and extend to the rear of the site. The other units will face the driveway. Can anyone verify or tell us for sure?

The driveway provides access to the garages. The front faces a sidewalk on the opposite (farthest from the river) side. THere is a website on this project. thebrownstones.net

Site plan for Rhett Street project

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GREAT! I was starting to wonder when they'd begin on the next several units. These will add a lot of character to Rhett Street. Now, if only we could get the Chicora project going, and another solid development along Rhett, it'll be in business. :)

Thanks for the update!

I hope that the plans will include wider sidewalks. I also would like to see some form of progress on the Chicora! The opening of the sales center would be sufficient for now. It must be expensive to rent that space. At least some renderings in the windows would be nice to start their selling campaign.

The triangle of land between Camperdown, Rhett, and River Streets is prime for development. I hope we can see a 5-8 story midrise there some day. It's extremely attractive due to its proximity to Main Street, being bordered by Riverplace, and someday, the Chicora.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of progress has been made on these since I last saw them.

Wow! I've not seen these in person in quite some time. The ones facing Rhett Street look GREAT! I also didn't realize that amount of progress had been made on the next four or so...

This is a wonderful project for the West End. :thumbsup:

Archived