NBC Reality show to be filmed in Grand Rapids and West Michigan area

This deal was put together by the newly formed West Michigan Film Commission, who helped with putting together 130 hotel rooms, locations, support staff and equipment. Filming is to take place in GR, Norton Shores, Muskegon and Holland.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

Anyone heard any more details?

More google-news hits

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do NOT want to get me started on this topic... or the "West Michigan Film Commission"... or the ridiculously misdirected legislation recently passed in the pursuit of "big film production"...

(rolling my eyes)

Can I please "get you started" on this? I'm very curious what this film commission is all about. I'd love to see more movies take place in a city besides NY, Miami, or California. There are other intersting city's in America!

"Reality tv" don't expect anything positive. Especially, with ethnic tension where marriage is concerned. Christian parents are shocked because their daughter is marring an Indian and hell breaks loose. Reality

i only find this vaguely entertaining and perhaps, a wee bit exciting because finally my friends elsewhere (not michigan, not grand rapids, not holland) can see a bit of where i live.

i think that'd be pretty cool.

other than that, i'm thinking a clash is gonna happen with this being the dutch end of the bible belt.

who knows.

I don't know, "Ugly Betty", "The Office" and "The Biggest Loser" are all pretty well made. I wouldn't drop them in the same class as "Wife Swap". It will be reality though, and may not be totally flattering to West Michigan's bent toward close-mindedness.

i only find this vaguely entertaining and perhaps, a wee bit exciting because finally my friends elsewhere (not michigan, not grand rapids, not holland) can see a bit of where i live.

i think that'd be pretty cool.

other than that, i'm thinking a clash is gonna happen with this being the dutch end of the bible belt.

who knows.

OK, maybe we can all agree that:

1) West Michigan does have a plethora of closed-minded people (misspelled by me earlier), although it does seem to be getting much better

2) and closed-mindedness seems to know NO ethnic boundaries

Perhaps?

I'm not much a reality show type of person. But maybe I'll make an exception for the particular episode being shot as long as its not going to be some Jerry Springer/Survivor/Fear Factor garbage. I would not want GR to be associated with that kind of hogwash.

Just realize that there is a story to this 'reality show.' It won't make much television if this woman brought her fiance home and the parents simply opened their arms.

However controversial, Michigan is no stranger to intolerance. According to the FBI, with 640 hate crime related incidents Michigan ranks third in the country. (2005, http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/table12.htm)

Of the 640 police reported crimes to the FBI, 475 cases were reported as race related. Grand Rapids has one of the highest reported concentrations of reported race crimes at a 36. http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/table13michigan.htm I believe that Grand Rapids also had the highest amount of ethic and sex orientation related crimes at 8 and 9 incidents.

Detroit at 41 and Flint at 50 reported crimes in 2005.

Worth keeping in mind, budgets on "reality" programs are like 1/20th of what you'll find on a feature film or a regular television series. One day of production for a movie would keep these cats fed for weeks, so don't look for any measureable economic impact.

Per the MLive link: This deal was put together by the newly formed West Michigan Film Commission, who helped with putting together 130 hotel rooms, locations, support staff and equipment. Filming is to take place in GR, Norton Shores, Muskegon and Holland.

I'd be SHOCKED if these guys are booking 130 rooms. Spitballin' 4 crews (if that) with 4 folks (Cam/Sound/Producer/PA) + maybe a dozen others handling logistics/payroll/rush editing/tech support/drivers back at temp office/hotel and that puts it well under fifty bodies. Even if you tossed in another dozen rooms as offices & edit suites, you're still way under "as advertised". You can take it to the bank they're not paying "rack rate" either.

Also, few of these folks are pulling down "Hollywood" wages... kids at McDonalds are getting close to PA money.

Whatever... as long as they don't drink all our beer and leave our women folk alone, it's no skin off my brow.

I'm not much a reality show type of person. But maybe I'll make an exception for the particular episode being shot as long as its not going to be some Jerry Springer/Survivor/Fear Factor garbage. I would not want GR to be associated with that kind of hogwash.

Worth keeping in mind, budgets on "reality" programs are like 1/20th of what you'll find on a feature film or a regular television series. One day of production for a movie would keep these cats fed for weeks, so don't look for any measureable economic impact.

Per the MLive link: This deal was put together by the newly formed West Michigan Film Commission, who helped with putting together 130 hotel rooms, locations, support staff and equipment. Filming is to take place in GR, Norton Shores, Muskegon and Holland.

I'd be SHOCKED if these guys are booking 130 rooms. Spitballin' 4 crews (if that) with 4 folks (Cam/Sound/Producer/PA) + maybe a dozen others handling logistics/payroll/rush editing/tech support/drivers back at temp office/hotel and that puts it well under fifty bodies. Even if you tossed in another dozen rooms as offices & edit suites, you're still way under "as advertised". You can take it to the bank they're not paying "rack rate" either.

Also, few of these folks are pulling down "Hollywood" wages... kids at McDonalds are getting close to PA money.

Archived