Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jettanout

Gus the Bus

15 posts in this topic

Alright, today at lunch I was trying to describe to some guys I work with (none of which grew up in Charlotte), Gus the Bus. I remember as a child seeing Gus at my school.

Does anyone else remember Gus? I know its a stretch, but does anyone have any pictures of the painted, talking school bus?

Oh was that the one they would always have in the thanksgiving parades? I also remember a giant WBTV walking TV set with a face on it anyone else?

Hmmmm...GUS, the talking saftey bus....that sounds crazy.

g.jpg

gusth.jpg

When I saw the title, I had to reply. I can't believe Gus is STILL around. I remember 'he' use to come around my elementary school once a year & 'talk' to us about bus safety.

yeah, i remember kickin' it with ol' gus the bus.... in '84-ish @ waxhaw elementary. thanks for the memory.

When I saw the title, I had to reply. I can't believe Gus is STILL around. I remember 'he' use to come around my elementary school once a year & 'talk' to us about bus safety.

I saw Gus the Bus in the mid 80's at Beverly Woods Elementary and remember everyone being amazed at it. I don't remember what his message was though.

Gus the Bus is still making the rounds. He was at my daughter's elementary school last month... you would have thought it was the Beatles. She was over the moon. I guess a teacher hides on the bus and tells Gus little facts about each student, because the bus called her by name and asked her about an assignment she was working on. She rushed home to take her "Gus the Bus Safety Quiz" so she could get her safety certificate the next day. The only problem with Gus the Bus is that I am now not allowed to rest my elbow on the open car door window area because Gus says it's dangerous. Silly safety rules. ^_^

I can assure you that bus is empty inside. Gus invited me on board in the late 80s to look for a person making the bus talk. I walked around inside looking under seats-to no avail folks, Gus is truly a talking bus!

Suprised nobody remembers that giant walking TV set with a face on it WBTV used to always use in parades and stuff. I forgot it's name :(

I definitely remember Gus the Bus when he came to my elementary school David Cox, although from the pictures atlrvr provided it looks like they added a bit to good ol' Gus like the smile covering the grill. But i distinctly remember me and a few of my fellow curious school mates taking a peak in the bus and we saw a boomox situated under the drivers seat, needless to say this was a crushing blow to our young minds haha! but i have seen Gus a few times in University City so i am assuming he still makes his rounds to the local elementary schools

I saw Gus the Bus in the mid 80's at Beverly Woods Elementary and remember everyone being amazed at it. I don't remember what his message was though.

I remember when Gus came to my school! I remember being sad cuz Gus didn't personally ask me to come on the bus :-/

I remember Gus the bus as well - mid 90s at McKee Elementary. Good times. I thought he'd be in the junkyard by now.

I created a Facebook for Gus the Bus.....I first ran into him at Clear Creek Elementary when I was six or so and I used to go by this dump on rocky river road in Union county near secrest short cut and as a child remember seeing an even older gus the bus rotted out and was so confused.....how could there be two gus the buses? So yeah check out the facebook group if you get a chance