Luxury Ada Apartment Complex Development?

MuddyG

I posted earlier today, and it was indeed on the forum, but has since mysteriously disappeared. I don't know if I broke some strange rule of the forum, or I've stumbeld into some DeVosian-VanAndelic Amway intrigue, but I shall try again.

According to sources, the small area of Ada in whhich I live(zipcode 49301 - not in Ada proper, and formerly Grand Rapids until a couple of years ago) is being targeted by luxury apartment developers. Supposedly they are sending out feelers to home owners in the area to buy houses. This is an older neighborhood of smaller houses, nothing like some of the newer developments in the area.

The area is Cascade to Ada Drive and, from Forest Hills Ave to Patterson. Here is a map.

Anyway, the supposed name of the developer is DAR Investment. I could only locate a DAR Investment in Dubai, so I don't think it's them. I did find a DAR Development on Northland Drive, but the woman I spoke to there claimed no knowledge.

Does anyone know anything about this? Will this post also mysteriously disappear? Tune in next time to find out...

--MuddyG

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you for that. I did check, and the project is buried 5 pages down in Concept Drawings for Northtown & Cascade/Forest Hills , which is probably why the guy who looked there did not see it.

In regard to your not finding this relevant to this board, until two years ago this area was a GR zip code, not considered part of Ada, and while it is not exactly "urban" it is certainly an interesting change to the face of Grand Rapids, no less relevant to urban Grand Rapids than a Culvers in Standale.

Thanks for reopening the topic. I do have "more than a passing interest," but not only as a seller or investor as you imply. I am interested in others' opinions on the effect of such a project, and any information on the developers, such as their competence to handle such a project in a way that will be harmonious to the community.

By the way, the Watering Hole, as a single threaded forum of discussion, is hardly conducive to a real conversation on anything.

I agree. A topic solely dedicated to a new Culver's in Standale would be closed and/or deleted (or moved to the Watering Hole).

DAR Development, as I posted yesterday, is a small commercial brokerage and development company. Just drive around anywhere near Plainfield, Northland Dr and West River Dr and you'll see their signs everywhere. I have no idea of their capabilities.

DAR is known for strip commercial and not residential. The newer buildings on Northland Drive are examples of their work, as are many on the east end of Plainfield. They might be interested in the commercial development of the area and would rightfully deny any interest in residential development.

The development would have to be low risk and high return to justify the work of assembling all those individual properties. The first purchases may be reasonably priced but the last will be very expensive as people figure out what's going on. That is also why a developer might deny any interest in the area.

Development rule #1: Never talk about a development until you have control of the land.

DAR is known for strip commercial and not residential. The newer buildings on Northland Drive are examples of their work, as are many on the east end of Plainfield. They might be interested in the commercial development of the area and would rightfully deny any interest in residential development.

The development would have to be low risk and high return to justify the work of assembling all those individual properties. The first purchases may be reasonably priced but the last will be very expensive as people figure out what's going on. That is also why a developer might deny any interest in the area.

Development rule #1: Never talk about a development until you have control of the land.

I think DAR just built the building on the corner of the Beltline and Grand River that has a Jude's Barbershop, Founders Bank and a bunch of other emply slots in it. Were they involved in that condo development behind that location on Grand River that looks out over Versluis Lake? Just curious.

As for this rumored development in Ada - isn't that area more commonly referred to as Forest Hills? That's where the Forest Hills Fine Arts Center and Forest Hills Foods are located although none of the Forest Hills schools are all that close to that area. There certainly has been a lot of development on the other side of I-96 from there.

It's technically Grand Rapids Township (the little block area in question) and the area East to a line that runs along Patterson, and South to a line even with Hall St. Even though it had a Grand Rapids mailing address, the city of Grand Rapids doesn't come close to that area, except up around the East Beltline/96 interchange. Some people call it Forest Hills, but that doesn't really mean anything other than the street name and the school district. FH Foods probably just named their store that (a long time ago) to go along with the street name.

If you go back to the township's land use plan, you can see the township boundaries:

http://www.grandrapidstwp.org/maps/flandplt%2018x24.pdf

It probably will be interesting to see what comes of this. Ada badly wants a remade, more "stroll friendly" downtown, and Grand Rapids Twp wants a downtown that they never had in the first place. As far as saving the homes in that block, I can't imagine they have any kind of historical value. Some of them don't even look like they meet code (should be condemned).

It'll be interesting. I think the doctors offices on Forest Hill and Ada Dr. definitely need to go. But it seems like some considerable investment has been put into the building that houses J.W's coffeehouse, Great Harvest Bread, etc. I'd like to see how that works into the plans.

Think of it this way MuddyG. You can sell your house for top dollar in a crapty real estate market, and then buy another house at a steal. :) I'd love to be houseless with cash in hand these days!

Joe

Archived