SHV visit

I've got a training session up in Shreveport next week. I'll be in town Monday through Thursday, and I've never been there before. I figured I'd ask the locals of good places to eat and visit after the training is over. I will have a car, so distance is not an issue. Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strawn's is a really good local diner with three locations. One location is across the street from Centenary College (original location in a little, old village shopping area,) another location is in southeast Shreveport on Youree Drive, in the SuperTarget shopping center, and the third location is on Airline Drive in Bossier, across from the Wal-Mart Supercenter and Lowe's.

I like to believe you'll be pleasantly surprised having never been here before. You're a meteorologist, so am I to assume that your training will be held on location at the Shreveport National Weather Service? If so that puts you in west Shreveport at the Regional Airport. Virtually any part of Shreveport-Bossier is easily accessible from there. The Regional Airport is located at the interchange of I-20/I-220/LA-3132 and is about 5-7 miles from the I-20/I-49 interchange.

Downtown is a nice Louisiana-style restaurant called Blind Tiger. It's located at the base of the neon bridge on the Shreveport side. Across the bridge from there is the Boardwalk, where Hooters, Joe's Crab Shack, Saltgrass, Buffalo Wild Wings, and all that stuff is located.

I assume you're looking for local chains. The first two places I mentioned are local places, but we also have some good local restaurants serving cuisine from different cultures. My favorite: a very Greek place hole in the wall on Youree Drive called Yeero! Yeero! From the outside it is a little hole in the wall, former Short Stop Hamburgers joint, but inside it's very Greek. The place is amazing on the inside, and if you like Greek, you'll enjoy the food. Though that place is good, my favorite Greek restaurant burned down last year and isn't going to reopen. :(

We're definitely not New Orleans, so I'm sure there are cuisines in New Orleans that you can't get here... but we have Greek, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Japanese, etc... and of course your typical Mexican and Chinese joints. But if you want a Mexican place that's not "typical," try Superior Grill. There are locations in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Birmingham, but the location in Shreveport on Line Avenue is the original and it's an awesome atmosphere. It's a bar atmosphere, always packed and lively. Hard to get a table, even on the patio, but definitely a see-and-be-seen place.

There are numerous martini bars if that's your style... most notably The Stray Cat downtown, which has a New Orleans-style courtyard behind it, sandwiched between a bunch of old, historic buildings.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be checking some of these places out.

Forgot to add...that yes our training is at the NWS office. Our group of trainees is staying at the Holiday Inn by the airport. It's nice to know that there is easy interstate access to all of Shreveport from that location.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be checking some of these places out.

Forgot to add...that yes our training is at the NWS office. Our group of trainees is staying at the Holiday Inn by the airport. It's nice to know that there is easy interstate access to all of Shreveport from that location.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. Got to drive around alot of Shreveport when I wasn't going through my training. I saw some very nice parts of the city along Line Ave. and over toward Youree Dr. I also drove through some rough neighborhoods, but nothing worse than I've seen in ATL, OKC, and NO. I was very impressed by the size of your skyline in person. Pictures do not do it justice. Decent density and height for a mid-size metro. Got to check out the Boardwalk, and it is fantastic. I'm hoping the new outdoor development over in Covington and down in New Orleans East is this nice when done. Went to Saltwater Steakhouse for dinner while there, and managed to lose money at the Horseshoe. <_< A large group of us went out Tuesday and Wednesday night with some of the local guys. Superior Grill was excellent, and Carraba's was delicious. One of the guys said most of the development around Carraba's is fairly new. I was impressed by all of the shopping and eating establishments around there. I also loved the older homes around Line and Pierremont.

Overall, I was very impressed by Shreveport. It's got a great skyline and is bit larger than I thought it would be.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. Got to drive around alot of Shreveport when I wasn't going through my training. I saw some very nice parts of the city along Line Ave. and over toward Youree Dr. I also drove through some rough neighborhoods, but nothing worse than I've seen in ATL, OKC, and NO. I was very impressed by the size of your skyline in person. Pictures do not do it justice. Decent density and height for a mid-size metro. Got to check out the Boardwalk, and it is fantastic. I'm hoping the new outdoor development over in Covington and down in New Orleans East is this nice when done. Went to Saltwater Steakhouse for dinner while there, and managed to lose money at the Horseshoe. <_< A large group of us went out Tuesday and Wednesday night with some of the local guys. Superior Grill was excellent, and Carraba's was delicious. One of the guys said most of the development around Carraba's is fairly new. I was impressed by all of the shopping and eating establishments around there. I also loved the older homes around Line and Pierremont.

Overall, I was very impressed by Shreveport. It's got a great skyline and is bit larger than I thought it would be.

I'm glad you had a good time, man! There really is a lot more to do here than one might first think, and the bar scene goes on until 6 am, which is second only to New Orleans in the state. As far as Superior, you couldn't have gone to a better place. The atmosphere is awesome and every time my father-in-law visits from Illinois, he always wants to go there first. And their margaritas... the best and most powerful around. Just FYI there's a Superior on St. Charles in New Orleans as well. ;)

Overall it seems that you had a nice visit. I think having lived in NO and ATL, our ghettos wouldn't scare you too much. The problem is, so many people move here from areas that have little-to-no bad neighborhoods and they complain about all the ghettos here. Hey, it's Louisiana for crying out loud! (lol)

Anyway I also hope the convenience of the freeways was nice for you. You should have found that area in west Shreveport to be extremely accessible to/from everywhere else in the cities. And coming from New Orleans I'm sure you had no problems with the traffic. The only time we really have traffic problems is at rush hour and that's isolated to specific areas. We've been fortunate to have such a fine system of freeways and loops that we don't have the traffic of BR and NO. I remember talking with a group of businessmen from Baton Rouge once and they couldn't believe we had these loops and all and they didn't... when BR is the capital city. I agreed, though, as it's hard to believe from a north Louisianan's perspective as well actually.

Archived