Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

john_denver

Best authentic Italian restaurants in GR?

28 posts in this topic

I was watching a show on TV last night about the best authentic Italian restaurants in Chicago, NY, San Francisco, etc.

It made me think about what we have in GR (Metro area is cool too).

I am talking about the old time places and not Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill.

Now if GB Russo and Son's owned and operated a restaurant...that would be awesome.

Any suggestions?

Salvator's at 654 Stocking NW advertises the awards they've received for their pizza, though I've never been there.

Also there is also Tre Cugini

I think my favorite non-fancy Italian place is Agostino's Little Sicily at 2020 Eastern Ave SE.

Salvator's at 654 Stocking NW advertises the awards they've received for their pizza, though I've never been there.

I think my favorite non-fancy Italian place is Agostino's Little Sicily at 2020 Eastern Ave SE.

For my money you cannot beat Big O's downtown next to the new GRAM. I have been to Tre Cugini and spend a BOAT LOAD of money. The food was awesome, but the bill kind of did me in.

I agree that Tre Cugini is a bit pricey, but I love eating outside there on a nice summer evening. It will be wonderful when the GRAM is complete.

Yes, exactly...I was thinking local and non-fancy!!

I grew up on the NE side of town so for us it was Vitale's on Leonard. They have been there in some from since the early 1960's when they had just a take out pizza operation. Pretty good stuff!

I grew up on the NE side of town so for us it was Vitale's on Leonard. They have been their in some from since the early 1960's when they had just a take out pizza operation. Pretty good stuff!

I wish this had been in the restaurant review thread. I was counting on checking that thread next time I'm in the "where to try?" mode and drawing blanks. :dontknow:

It would be useful to have it together in one thread.

Try Tuscan Express out in Cascade. It's in a strip mall on 28th across from the D&W plaza. Once you step through the doors, you'll forget you're in a strip mall.

I have to throw in my nod for Vitales as well, but in the more formal and expensive world, Noto's is exceptional. It's been around for a long time, although not in its current location (used to be in standale) and the food is fantastic. Just bring your charge card.

I have to throw in my nod for Vitales as well, but in the more formal and expensive world, Noto's is exceptional. It's been around for a long time, although not in its current location (used to be in standale) and the food is fantastic. Just bring your charge card.

I was watching a show on TV last night about the best authentic Italian restaurants in Chicago, NY, San Francisco, etc.

It made me think about what we have in GR (Metro area is cool too).

I am talking about the old time places and not Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill.

Now if GB Russo and Son's owned and operated a restaurant...that would be awesome.

Any suggestions?

I like all of the places already listed, and Noto's. I had a large group there and they did a fantastic job. Good martinis, and wine selection too.

Try Tuscan Express out in Cascade. It's in a strip mall on 28th across from the D&W plaza. Once you step through the doors, you'll forget you're in a strip mall.

I like all of the places already listed, and Noto's. I had a large group there and they did a fantastic job. Good martinis, and wine selection too.

Bella Mia! It's a little blink-and-you'll-miss-it restaurant down at Kalamazoo and M-6 - right in front of Celebration Cinema South.

Their pizza is great! Their Chickent Tortellini soup is AWESOME (unlike the bowl of broth that the place up the road serves, Bella Mia's CT soup has so much chicken and veggies in it that it only barely classifies as soup!). The Alfredo... ooo, the Alfredo! But for my money it's the Linguini with tomato sauce.

I dream about that man's linguini! :rolleyes:

And the portions... HUGE. I'm just sayin'.

Florentines on Kazoo north of 44th. It's a sports bar and the non-smoking area is pretty spartan but the food is great, portions large and prices reasonable. The spaghetti sauce is on the sweeter side ummm ummm good :thumbsup:

Bella Mia! It's a little blink-and-you'll-miss-it restaurant down at Kalamazoo and M-6 - right in front of Celebration Cinema South.

Their pizza is great! Their Chickent Tortellini soup is AWESOME (unlike the bowl of broth that the place up the road serves, Bella Mia's CT soup has so much chicken and veggies in it that it only barely classifies as soup!). The Alfredo... ooo, the Alfredo! But for my money it's the Linguini with tomato sauce.

I dream about that man's linguini! :rolleyes:

And the portions... HUGE. I'm just sayin'.

I'd vote Vitale's but, my vote doesn't really count (last meal was on Leonard in 1989). Happy to know it's still serving quality Italian food.

I'd vote Vitale's but, my vote doesn't really count (last meal was on Leonard in 1989). Happy to know it's still serving quality Italian food.

I concur 100% with Noto's. I think it is the very best Italian restaurant in GR. Not only is their food authentic, but the presentation of the food is unique and the atmosphere is lovely.

I gotta weigh in (pun intended) with Tuscan Express. Awesome food, great interior, horrid exterior, great staff, fine wines.