Best authentic Italian restaurants in GR?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh baby, my specialty! Italian food runs in my blood. I went to visit some friends in New Jersey last July and there where a million places that you could easily mistake for Salvatore's. Tacky, non-presumptious, and homey are words I would use to describe the GR West-Side eaterie's bretheren on the cold coast. They HAD an incredible spinach lasagna, but for some reason took it off the menu recently. Oh well, guess I'll have to stick with the classico manicoti!

Others of note are 28th street Pietro's (although I hate the street), Tre Cugini (probably the best atmosphere for Italian in the city) and Vitale's (but its gotta be the janky one on Leonard - - its a classic! Mangiamo= Gilmore's take on mid-grade Italian food at a big price in a mansion...I won't go back.

• 2 weeks later...

I throw my vote to Tuscan Express as well. I was put off for a long while by the part of the name, express, and that they were in a strip mall; but then I told myself, don't judge a book by its cover and finally tried it. It is by far the best Italian in g.r.

Archived