Forum etiquette

I have often used the Grand Rapids section of Urban Planet as a resource, although I've never posted. Yesterday, though, I thought I had a good reason to join the Urban Planet community, and did so. I posted a question regarding some strange possible apartment complex development in Ada.

My first post was summarily erased, with no message of explanation. I thought perhaps it was a mistake, however in retrospect it would seem it was no mistake.

My second post received a very terse comment from a board moderated GRdadof3, directing me to check the Grand Rapids Township website, which had been briefly checked by another interested party who found nothing in regard to this project (Admittedly I did not check it myself). The moderator then CLOSED THE TOPIC!? Did I do something wrong? Is this topic not worthy of conversation? Or did I stumble upon some type of conspiracy here?

Please explain to me why my post was handled in this manner, as this is certainly not a very hospitable welcome to what I thought was an open forum about Grand Rapids and the development thereof.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have often used the Grand Rapids section of Urban Planet as a resource, although I've never posted. Yesterday, though, I thought I had a good reason to join the Urban Planet community, and did so. I posted a question regarding some strange possible apartment complex development in Ada.

My first post was summarily erased, with no message of explanation. I thought perhaps it was a mistake, however in retrospect it would seem it was no mistake.

My second post received a very terse comment from a board moderated GRdadof3, directing me to check the Grand Rapids Township website, which had been briefly checked by another interested party who found nothing in regard to this project (Admittedly I did not check it myself). The moderator then CLOSED THE TOPIC!? Did I do something wrong? Is this topic not worthy of conversation? Or did I stumble upon some type of conspiracy here?

Please explain to me why my post was handled in this manner, as this is certainly not a very hospitable welcome to what I thought was an open forum about Grand Rapids and the development thereof.

That was my fault MuddyG. I accidentally deleted the topic yesterday while editing, and can't send a PM to you because you don't have enough posts yet.

Have you checked with the township yet? I left a long answer to your question yesterday about what it probably was, so I assumed you read it. Frankly, a new apartment complex in Ada does not really warrant its own thread. Perhaps in the Watering Hole.

Wow.

I did not read your other post. I did locate three sketches in regard to the project. Thank you for that.

I'm sorry if 20 or so people being asked to sell their houses in a four block area of Ada is not interesting to you. To me however, it is quite relevant. If the nature of my discrepancy is that I did not post in the proper place, then perhaps you could have helped out a newb and told me where you thought it was appropriate, however I hardly see how how it does not warrant a thread. Renovating an old bar (which I find quite interesting, BTW) does, but not wrecking four blocks of houses and existing retail in Ada?

This certainly was not a hospitable welcome to these forums, and I am sorry that my issue does not rate with you.

First and foremost, welcome to UP MuddyG.

Easy does it Muddy. I think you misunderstood what Dad was only suggesting. This is a relevant topic that would be great to discuss, only it should be done so in “Watering Hole.” Makes it easier to find as well.

Never mind, guess it has been addressed.

Wow.

I did not read your other post. I did locate three sketches in regard to the project. Thank you for that.

I'm sorry if 20 or so people being asked to sell their houses in a four block area of Ada is not interesting to you. To me however, it is quite relevant. If the nature of my discrepancy is that I did not post in the proper place, then perhaps you could have helped out a newb and told me where you thought it was appropriate, however I hardly see how how it does not warrant a thread. Renovating an old bar (which I find quite interesting, BTW) does, but not wrecking four blocks of houses and existing retail in Ada?

This certainly was not a hospitable welcome to these forums, and I am sorry that my issue does not rate with you.

Archived