More parking under Boston Common?

atlrvr

Should the parking deck under Boston Common be expanded?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

The Boston Convention Authority which owns/operates the parking deck under Boston Common wants to double the size of the deck to provide for parking downtown, in hopes of stimulating more economic development, but mainly because they want to revenue to subsidize their two convention centers.

The expansion would go just south of the existing deck at the corner of Charles and Boylston, and would (in theory) be cordinated with the Silver Line Phase III tunnel. Currently there are baseball fields at this loction which I would assume would get torn up for the two years needed to complete the project.

1181038114_6278.gif

The plan would face tons of hurdles from the state and even federal government, which would have to approve raising the number of spaces downtown.

Demand is being pushed by a strengthening economy and a limit on new parking spaces. Long ago, the US Environmental Protection Agency capped the number of parking spaces at Boston's downtown garages and lots at 35,303 to encourage commuters to use mass transportation.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on what day it is I'll usually take the train up. But if I'm just going up for a Saturday, it's just 10 dollars all day on weekends at the Gov't Center garage. If you're going up with more than one person, gas and parking is actually cheaper than three people taking the T up and back.

Archived