What is Atlanta best known for?

Andrea

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coke is probably my first guess. I don't know how many people look at a Coke and say "Oh yeah, Coke comes from Atlanta...", but it is the most well known trademark in the world.

As far as what most people associate with Atlanta, I'd suggest the traffic, the airport, and the Olympics. A lot of people I talk to on vacations and other trips tell me they loved going to see the Olympics there (or remember seeing them on TV).

Those are just my personal opinions, though.

Well first of all, from reading the comments in the AJC blog, all that I can say is WOW. Are those the type of people that live in Atlanta? Better yet, are those the type of people that would pick up an AJC? Who knew so many ignorant, racist and immature people read the newspaper?

Anyway, when I was younger (adolescent) I just thought of Atlanta as another city in the south. Now that I'm older I think of Atlanta as the current haven for southern rap, a mecca for young southern professionals (primarily black) looking for a cool city close to home with a great economy and a place where a young man like me can go to on the weekend for almost endless PARTYING.

Well first of all, from reading the comments in the AJC blog, all that I can say is WOW. Are those the type of people that live in Atlanta? Better yet, are those the type of people that would pick up an AJC? Who knew so many ignorant, racist and immature people read the newspaper?

^ Yeah, I read the AJC everyday and I cannot believe the things people say in those blogs. What kills me is the anti-Hispanic ravings. Every topic seems to come back to that at one point or another. I've said it before though, it pales in comparison to what is written in the LA Times blogs. It just proves that people will say anything when they can hide behind a computer screen name.

My local newspaper is the same way, though they've cut back on a lot of that stuff by making people actually register like they do here. It doesn't totally rid the newspaper of stupidity, but it does make it a bit harder. Of course, stupidity will always be around.

I'm from out of town (Orlando) and the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Atlanta to me is the view of a huge 20 lane expressway full of cars curving and twisting around (in a fascinating way, LA's freeway's don't even give me the same impression.) I also think of an island city in the middle of the South, a diversified, civilized, safe-haven 400 miles away in every direction from the rest of civilization..(Example: If I am driving to ATL from Orlando, once I leave the Florida Turnpike and get on I-75 for the next 400 miles I leave diversity, open-mindedness, fashion, culture, the beach, fine dining, etc. until I get to Atlanta and if I leave Atlanta in any direction it seems like 400 miles to get to any of the above mentioned things again.) I also think of the closeness to the mountains, Coke (a-cola), Peachtree, Buckhead and wonder to myself how can Orlando prevent the urban sprawl (Orlando is named #1 for worst urban sprawl in the USA) that Atlanta has. And most recently I think of hip-hop and how Atlanta represents it, the same way that Orlando has come to represent Reggaeton....Just my thoughts....

I'm from out of town (Orlando) and the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Atlanta to me is the view of a huge 20 lane expressway full of cars curving and twisting around (in a fascinating way, LA's freeway's don't even give me the same impression.) I also think of an island city in the middle of the South, a diversified, civilized, safe-haven 400 miles away in every direction from the rest of civilization..(Example: If I am driving to ATL from Orlando, once I leave the Florida Turnpike and get on I-75 for the next 400 miles I leave diversity, open-mindedness, fashion, culture, the beach, fine dining, etc. until I get to Atlanta and if I leave Atlanta in any direction it seems like 400 miles to get to any of the above mentioned things again.) I also think of the closeness to the mountains, Coke (a-cola), Peachtree, Buckhead and wonder to myself how can Orlando prevent the urban sprawl (Orlando is named #1 for worst urban sprawl in the USA) that Atlanta has. And most recently I think of hip-hop and how Atlanta represents it, the same way that Orlando has come to represent Reggaeton....Just my thoughts....

Honestly, I probably hear more about Atlanta's traffic than anything else down here in New Orleans. :lol:

Of course I would certainly say things like Coke, the Olympics, Delta Air Lines, Home Deopt, etc. are way up there as well.

When I think of Atlanta I think of the interstates. I remember the few times I drove from Norcross to Courtland Street at 5:30 in the morning and seeing the buildings appear over the horizon like it was a showcase.

People that are in various areas of business know that Atlanta is the communications, legal, federal government, and transportation center of the Southeast U.S., with the latter having the world's busiest airport, trucking center for the entire eastern seaboard, it's massive freeway system, and the only city in the Southeast that has a subway system, Miami's system is elevated. Atlanta also has more Fortune 500 headquarters than any other U.S. city with the exception of New York and Houston respectfully. The city also ranks high in architecture and has the tallest office only tower in the Southeast, and outside of New York and Chicago. The proposed Signature Tower in Nashville will be taller, if built, but it will be a hotel/condo. tower... :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Coca-Cola, Olympics, Atlanta's Hartsfield Jackson Airport, Lenox Square-Phipps Plaza(for those who shop nationwide), Home Depot, Hip-Hop Music and Culture, Waffle House, Fried Chicken, Argubly the most diverse city in the South (excluding FL)....

Archived