What is Atlanta best known for?

Andrea

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But like metrowester said, its odd (at least to me) that Atlanta is still quite shrouded / under the shadow of other southern cities. I've lived in the south and lived much more time outside of the south. Atlanta is still one of those cities everyone addresses as "Atlanta, GA" and you would be surprised, a lot of people (and I would say most average people) don't know UPS, Coca-Cola, Home Depot, etc. are all headquartered in Atlanta. Atlanta for some reason just doesn't have the same nationwide (let alone international recognition) as Miami, Dallas, Houston, and maybe not even as much fame as New Orleans simply due to Mardi Gras and Orlando due to tourism. People are often surprised to hear that Hartsfield is the nation's busiest airport (people commonly say "what is there in atlanta?") I agree with metrowester that Atlanta needs to boost its national and international recognition through tourism. Its surprising how little people outside of the South know about Atlanta.

Most people don't know where a lot of major corporations are headquartered; that isn't specific to Atlanta in the least. It's only us urban geeks that keep up with what cities have the most F500's, busiest airports, etc. I seriously doubt that the average American knows that Houston has the most F500 headquarters in the U.S. outside of NY.

Perhaps a case could be made for Miami having more exposure than Atlanta, but I would say that in several respects, Atlanta is the face of the South. I really don't see Dallas and Houston as overshadowing Atlanta at all. Atlanta gets much more exposure in pop culture than those other two, has more of a young and trendy reputation, and is a top tourist city in the U.S. Lots of people think "George Bush" when they think of Houston and "cowboys" (or a particular soap opera) when they think of Dallas--and that's pretty much the extent of it.

I think you guys are seriously selling Atlanta short.

I totally agree.

1)How can some of you say Most people outside the south don't know about Atlanta. We have plenty of trasplants from Cali,NY, and Florida. I've learned this from working in resturants. Alot of the staff and the guess come from Cali, NY, and FLA and other places as well. Id say its more transplants working than natives. It has also taught me that Atlanta is very diverse . I always hear people saying they didn't know Atlanta was this diverse

2) Like everyother Black movie now-a -days is based in Atlanta

3)No one cares where F500 companies are. Small businesses help make a city great any way. Which Atlanta is a leader in.

4)Houston and Dallas are huge, bigger than Atlanta, but I too would say Atlanta is the face, and yes, the capital, of the South. Cause when it comes to being a big city in the South, Atlanta's right there, damn near in the middle of the South-east. And even though it has a lot of transplants its still very southern. Texas is way overthere, basically south-west. Atlanta is the biggest thing around. Thats why so much is held in The "A".

5) Oh sports .........and the 1996 Olympics......HELLO!!!

6) I literally can go on and on. However, we may be running in to 2 totally different crowds.

Simply put, if someone doesn't know that Atlanta is a national player by now, then he/she is an idiot. I don't expect them to know how many people reside in the city, or what's headquartered in the city/metro area, or that Hartsfield-Jackson is the world's busiest airport, but as much national shine as Atlanta gets, there's no excuse for not recognizing that it's a major metro area of the U.S. Too bad there are some people out there for whom this applies.

I'm currently living in China and whenever I tell people I'm from Georgia they have no clue where I'm talking about, but as soon as I say Atlanta (I'm actually from Gainesville) they know exactly where I'm talking about. Although they call it YaTeLanDa, they immediately mention the Olympics (the Olympics are on all Chinese' minds these days).

Trying to tell them that I go to school in South Carolina is not as easy. Even after I learned the Chinese--NanKaLoLaiNa--they have no clue. But, Columbia's coming on up :)

As for Dallas--Nobody would know it. Some people I work with know Houston because they have worked for industrial firms based in Houston.

I absolutely love Orlando, but no one here would know it by name. Rest assured they'd know Disney World.

I don't think most of you are focusing on what people would know about American cities in China, but I thought i'd give another perspective. When you name any US location here, most people ask if you meant California. In a country where most people know only California and New York, I think it says a lot for Atlanta that every Chinese I've met has known Atlanta and recognized it for the Olympics.

As for Fortune 500 companies-I had heard that Atlanta is the #2 city in the country for number of F500 companies. Is this true?

Other things it's known for --- In the theatre world, the Alliance (won the tony for regional theatre this year and has opended Aida and the Color Purple); Aquarium (I believe it's picking up quite a reputation); the Braves; the gay capital of the South; I say just about the ______ captial of the South for anything. Disclaimer: I'm very biased.

Hey StephenW, welcome to the forum! An international perspective is just what we needed here. Sometime I think we fail to realize just what the Olympics did for Atlanta.

You should also post in the Columbia subforum sometimes; hope to see you over there! ;)

Hey StephenW, welcome to the forum! An international perspective is just what we needed here. Sometime I think we fail to realize just what the Olympics did for Atlanta.

You should also post in the Columbia subforum sometimes; hope to see you over there! ;)

I'm currently living in China and whenever I tell people I'm from Georgia they have no clue where I'm talking about, but as soon as I say Atlanta (I'm actually from Gainesville) they know exactly where I'm talking about. Although they call it YaTeLanDa, they immediately mention the Olympics (the Olympics are on all Chinese' minds these days).

Trying to tell them that I go to school in South Carolina is not as easy. Even after I learned the Chinese--NanKaLoLaiNa--they have no clue. But, Columbia's coming on up :)

As for Dallas--Nobody would know it. Some people I work with know Houston because they have worked for industrial firms based in Houston.

I absolutely love Orlando, but no one here would know it by name. Rest assured they'd know Disney World.

I don't think most of you are focusing on what people would know about American cities in China, but I thought i'd give another perspective. When you name any US location here, most people ask if you meant California. In a country where most people know only California and New York, I think it says a lot for Atlanta that every Chinese I've met has known Atlanta and recognized it for the Olympics.

As for Fortune 500 companies-I had heard that Atlanta is the #2 city in the country for number of F500 companies. Is this true?

Other things it's known for --- In the theatre world, the Alliance (won the tony for regional theatre this year and has opended Aida and the Color Purple); Aquarium (I believe it's picking up quite a reputation); the Braves; the gay capital of the South; I say just about the ______ captial of the South for anything. Disclaimer: I'm very biased.

^I don't know if the size of the gay community alone would determine whether or not Atlanta is the gay capital of the South--especially percentage wise. Orlando, as well as Austin and Tampa, may have larger percentage of the population call themselves gay or bisexual, but Atlanta as a metro, and as a city (except in Austin's case), has a larger total population than those places.

Thanks for those percentages. I didn't expect some of those cities! But how does Orlando cater to the gay community (I honestly don't know, besides Disney's event every year). I know Atlanta has one of the biggest pride parades in the nation, and Midtown is pretty well known as a gay destination. I know my friends from Charlotte, Columbia, and Charleston go to Atlanta when they're tired of the limited (2-3) options in each of those cities.

I do think Atlanta's central location may help too. I know we would probably love to go party in Orlando for a weekend, but don't want to drive 8+ hours. Atlanta can be reached wihin 3-4 Hours from many South-Eastern cities.

I'm really surprised that Tampa keeps being brought up in comparison to Atlanta. I've never been, and it never comes to mind when I think of southern cities like Orlando or Miami (or even Jacksonville) might. I guess I'll have to check it out!

Thanks for those percentages. I didn't expect some of those cities! But how does Orlando cater to the gay community (I honestly don't know, besides Disney's event every year). I know Atlanta has one of the biggest pride parades in the nation, and Midtown is pretty well known as a gay destination. I know my friends from Charlotte, Columbia, and Charleston go to Atlanta when they're tired of the limited (2-3) options in each of those cities.

I do think Atlanta's central location may help too. I know we would probably love to go party in Orlando for a weekend, but don't want to drive 8+ hours. Atlanta can be reached wihin 3-4 Hours from many South-Eastern cities.

I'm really surprised that Tampa keeps being brought up in comparison to Atlanta. I've never been, and it never comes to mind when I think of southern cities like Orlando or Miami (or even Jacksonville) might. I guess I'll have to check it out!

^I don't know if the size of the gay community alone would determine whether or not Atlanta is the gay capital of the South--especially percentage wise. Orlando, as well as Austin and Tampa, may have larger percentage of the population call themselves gay or bisexual, but Atlanta as a metro, and as a city (except in Austin's case), has a larger total population than those places.

I'm sorry, but I have to post this. After discussing this article with a co-worker this morning, they exclaimed, "That's why I love Atlanta." I love the part about petting zoo at one of their parties and the fact that the AJC journalist actually uses the phrasing "making it rain" at a club. That's classic. Black Mafia Indicted

You ask what Atlanta is known for? I give you suburban hell, quirky politics, weird eccentric criminals, mixed with millions of people who can't stand each other. It's North of South, but South of North. A city where you're just as likely to hear a foreign accent as a Southern one, yet sweet tea is served at every restaurant.

A city frequented by hip hop artists and rednecks; a city of freaks who come out only at night, haunted nightclubs where real vampires are said to live below, strip clubs that brag about having the ugliest women in the world.

In short, Atlanta is both countercultural and conformist. It is the ultimate dichotomy. A set-up of people who have little in common, sharing only a love for Atlanta.

BOX: GAY POPULATION The Orlando-Kissimmee market is ranked in the top 10 of U.S. metro areas for percentage of gay, lesbian and bisexual adults, with more than 5%. That percentage also tops the national average (4.1% of adults) and the state average (4.6%)/ Top 10 metro areas

1.San-Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, Calif.-8.2%

2. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Wash.-6.5%

3.Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Mass.- 6.2%

4. Portland-Beaverton, Ore.-Vancouver, Wash.- 6.1%

5. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater,FL.-5.9%

6. Austin-Round Rock, Texas- 5.9%

7. Denver-Aurora, Colo.-5.8%

8. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minn.- 5.7%

9. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL.- 5.7%

10. Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, Conn.- 5.6% SOURCE: The Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation Law and Public Policy, UCLA School of Law.

Interesting - I live outside of Denver & would never ever know there was a large gay population. Especially when compared to Atlanta, but considering NYC, Miami or even Houston isn't ranked that might tell you something. Not saying the ranking isn't valid, it most likely is - but due to NYC, Miami, Houston & Atlanta having large populations that might explain things, but otherwise those cities are known for having a large, vocal & active gay community.

[/quote

You notice LA is not on their either. I'm sure those cities have many more gay people than Denver or Orlando but not by percentage to straight people. With 22,000,000 people in the NYC area, even 1 percent of that would be a lot. The study is done yearly by UCLA,

• 5 months later...

Archived