Calvin College - Construction

hombre_de_ciudad

• 7 months later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this was brought up in any other threads, but Calvin will receive a $100,000 earmark from the FY2008 Appropriations Bill under Federal Transportation Administration. (From the OMB site, big PDF file, pg. 99)

The appropriation is described as: Calvin College, for renovation of a historic building in downtown Grand Rapids.

What building is this?

Not sure if this was brought up in any other threads, but Calvin will receive a $100,000 earmark from the FY2008 Appropriations Bill under Federal Transportation Administration. (From the OMB site, big PDF file, pg. 99)

The appropriation is described as: Calvin College, for renovation of a historic building in downtown Grand Rapids.

What building is this?

They also rehabbed their art space on S. Division, but that was a couple years ago.

The College has also been buying up properties south of Burton, adjacent from the main campus. I know the Weyhill Building (6-7 stories, visible from the Beltline) was one of these. I don't think there are any specific plans in the works, but it wouldn't be surprising to see the campus sprawling across Burton at some point in the coming years.

They also rehabbed their art space on S. Division, but that was a couple years ago.

The College has also been buying up properties south of Burton, adjacent from the main campus. I know the Weyhill Building (6-7 stories, visible from the Beltline) was one of these. I don't think there are any specific plans in the works, but it wouldn't be surprising to see the campus sprawling across Burton at some point in the coming years.

I heard Calvin bought that building to house additional administration offices. Most of the prior tenants who were there before Calvin's ownership just stayed put. It sounded like Calvin only needed a small fraction of the space, but it made sense for them to own it.

And if Calvin is going to "sprawl" anywhere, it'll be across the Beltine since they already own a ton of land back there and have the bridge.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know what properties other than Weyhill were purchased? I was poking around online, but couldn't find anything.

Given the constraints of the nature preserve on the land east of the Beltline, I still wouldn't be shocked to see 'Calvin Brick' south of Burton at some time in the future.

Archived