Third Street Parking Garage

Gauge

I like the Third Street Parking Garage and I think it is very convenient for much of Third Street. However, I have two major complaints:

1. The garage accepts cash only. No credit/debit cards. Less and less people carry cash anymore, particularly the younger 20-30 crowd that frequents Third Street, and thus the parking garage. Many times I (and I'm sure many others) find myself unable to park in the garage due to the fact that I rarely carry cash. The garage should accept credit/debit cards.

2. The garage is closed from midnight until 6:00 a.m. Monday through Thursday, and 2:30 a.m. until 8:00 a.m. on weekends. These hours are simply not practical. When people use the garage, they want to have the piece of mind that regardless of what time they make it back to their car, they will be able to get out of the garage. Even the slightest chance of having your card "locked in" for the night can and will lead to people not parking in the garage. This will lead to some people refusing to visit Third Street at all on some nights. It can't cost much to pay someone minimum wage to set in that both for an additional six hours a day.

I want to write or call someone to address my concerns over this. From what I understand, the garage is partially state owned??? Any ideas on where I should best direct my complaints? Does anyone else share my concerns?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know who you should contact about the garage, but I share your frustration with regard to only taking cash. I try and carry as little cash as possible. I have used the garage in the past, but always find myself having to dig around the car to get enough money together to park in that place.

I would write to 2theadvocate.com website; click on "Advocate"; then "Ask the Advocate" and they will probably answer your question within a month. You can also try calling the Downtown Development District(DDD); part the brgov.com website.

I think that's a good idea that you are interested enough to want to do something about it :thumbsup:

It's also good to see the BR Forums active; I have been away a few days attending a workshop in Alexandria. Nice to be back!

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys not only the 3rs St. Garage, but the other garages downtown also. Like the ones near the Capital Complex, they are huge and yet they never seem to be open when they are needed. For example, we went downtown for the Earth Day Festival, hardly any street parking left when we got there and guess what, the state parking garages weren't open. What is up with that? A big complaint from everyone is not enough parking downtown, well of course not if you aren't going to open the garages when you have festivals and such. They could charge a flat $5 rate for events and on the weekends for when people go to the various bars/clubs. Just what are people thinking?

Archived