Largest skylines in the state

I like Tysons Corner for what it has: two huge malls across the street from each other, but its buildings aren't close to each other or tall. Here's hoping that the rail will shape it more into a Ballston-Rosslyn corridor (see Arlington above).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Tysons Corner for what it has: two huge malls across the street from each other, but its buildings aren't close to each other or tall. Here's hoping that the rail will shape it more into a Ballston-Rosslyn corridor (see Arlington above).

living about 10 mins away from tysons, i have high hopes for its new development!! :) there are many new highrises proposed. 4 or 5 of which are taller than the current tallest (the ritz). with the already 2nd largest shopping area in the nation, being widely expanded, and dulles metro extention, and widening of the beltway form 8 to 12 lanes, there is destined to be new additional development! with all of this happening, expecially considering fairfax co.'s push for higher density near metro and to create livable downtowns out of tysons and other "office parks", tysons is destined to bloom! there are lots of low density stores and parking lots that will surely be redeveloped. this will happen at merrifield and springfield as well just to name a few. both of these have approved towncenter redevelopment. :):)

as for reston... i used to live there in the early 90's. i remember when they removed the first trees to put in the hyatt in RTC. now when one looks at the towncenter from afar, it looks like nashville or salt lake city! it was the first real towncenter. its a cool place... and they're still putting in tall buildings let and right! its always been the dulles toll road tech corridor.. now with that getting full, its spilled over onto rt. 28! really liking the way nova is growing!! I'd like to see va beach towncenter, norfolk, and richmond get taller too! does anyone know if there is a height limit in any of these cities?

The only effective height limit is in the Virginia Beach resort area, because of proximity to Oceana Naval air Station. You probably won't see anything much higher than 200 feet there, which accounts for the blocky skyline.

I also think Tysons has a prosperous future. It's already the largest shopping mecca for the whole state and a very strong business center as well. However, someday it may be too hard to get there. That's the biggest challenge.

i have heard many people say things like tysons is a permanent mess and that it will be too hard to get to, but with metro comming from the 2 most urban directions, thats a start. then, because fairfax and virginia, who have high hopes for tysons, are working to make tysons a more people friendly place i think it will get the funding it needs to not only keep it flowing, but to ensure suficient parking facility and keep the roads moving eficiently. it already is in a perfect place to allow traffic to flow in and out easily being between the beltway, the toll road , and rt. 7. the state just needs to make it so the area flows easier with these roads. they are widening the beltway. this should be a start on getting people in and out.

• 1 month later...

I wish I knew how to do it, but if someone else does, Ryan Ramsey at Richmond City Watch has a spectacular night-time shot of the city's skyline that should be posted here. It is the 1st picture on page 9 of his August set in his photo gallery at http://www.Richmondcitywatch.com.

It is the shot that shows an illuminated Main Street Station in the foreground and the lighted skyline beyond. Really spectacular!!

It's so great I have put it up as wallpaper on my computer.

• 2 weeks later...

update; fairoaks mall in ffx city is to expand its floorspace by 1/3 of its currnet size. it will apparently be the largest shopping complex in the DC area! yes even bigger than tysons II!

quick question. is pembroke mall going to be completly torn down, or will it just be added onto? are there any highrises proposed?

update; fairoaks mall in ffx city is to expand its floorspace by 1/3 of its currnet size. it will apparently be the largest shopping complex in the DC area! yes even bigger than tysons II!

quick question. is pembroke mall going to be completly torn down, or will it just be added onto? are there any highrises proposed?

i truthfully think tysons has alot of potential for being the "largest skyline in the state". given its enormous width, 2 1/2 miles, it can support alot. even now, from the toll road, its city scape is really long. its just a question new taller buildings. i think it can happen and it will happen as soon as metro goes in, and there is some transit re-organization. most of the nova "office park areas" are and will be going through massive updates by the counties and state to attract people to them, instead of the far out subburbs to controll traffic. ffx city is now going through some massive updates that are making it pedestrian friendly and adding street level shops, restaurants and high density housing. this goes for rosslyn, ballston, parts of crystal city, and springfield. and marrifield too. tysons can be fixed. it will be work, but it can happen. where there is a will, there's a way. :shades:

When you combined all Virginia downtowns, Tyson is still larger when comparing square footage of office buildings and retail. It's even larger than most downtown in America. It is so spread out with pockets of developments through out that eventually will turn into a community in itself. Samples of developments that are conforming to the new county development plan are begging take shape. Look at the new and future buildings in the galleria area, the Borders Book building on Leesburg Pike, and Park Center development. All these are becoming urban like. Plus the many proposed developments like Tyson Corner Center and the Tower development that's located right across the street from Tiffany and Gucci.

most people are not sure about tysons. some even think it can't be salvaged. it can, and will. how do other cities function? denver, montgomery, new orleans, oklahoma city? none of these towns have rail transit (maybe denver. right?) tysons will get metro, and will become more ped. friendly. it is getting lots of condo blocks that will create a more walking oriented environment, and will attract tysons employees to live where they work. dont give up so easy guys. tysons had LOTS of potential. its area is greater than downtown and midtown manhattan, chigago, and miami, as well as many others! it will become NOVA's gem.

Those cities are old cities with old downtowns. Tysons' is a high-rise office park like Irvine is in SoCal. Buildings were designed around cars not pedestrians like they were in those other cities you mentioned. Reston TC is more urban in style than Tyson's Corner. You need sidewalks, human-sized blocks (not superblocks), and street-level retail for an area to be truly urban.

Those cities are old cities with old downtowns. Tysons' is a high-rise office park like Irvine is in SoCal. Buildings were designed around cars not pedestrians like they were in those other cities you mentioned. Reston TC is more urban in style than Tyson's Corner. You need sidewalks, human-sized blocks (not superblocks), and street-level retail for an area to be truly urban.

thanks hoobo for the info on pembroke. wrldcoupe4, i'm not sure about where they will be expanding. the info has just come out. I hear there will be a pretty big office building. well big for ffx city. but i read about it in the wash. post. and yes, they will be building over parkling lots and making new parking decks to replace them. i cant wait to see it finished!! btw, thanks for the richmond pix! i set one of them as my wallpaper! :thumbsup:

Archived